Melafix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilwild

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can you use melafix along with stress coat during each water change?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's an interesting question. Do you mean full dose or a light dose?

I don't think I would. It's still a med with some fish sensitive to any build-up. I'd save it for when needed.

It would just be a small dose, preventive I guess you'd call it. I had a friend who used it after every w.c and she never had any problems with keeping her parameters good or any sick or stressed fish. Just looking for pro's and con's. Thanx for your reply.

I agree with Delapool. But, I'm very interested in what your friend did. What was her tank size and dose? I just read a post ( forgot what thread ) where a member related he uses it when introducing any new fish b/c it calms the fish down.

A preventative dose should be ok as long as you don't have any labyrinth fish (gourami, betta, paradise fish, etc). Melafix has been shown to cause damage to labyrinth organs to the point that some fish have actually drowned once their labyrinth organ was too damaged to function anymore. Use with caution.

Stress coat is a very basic water conditioner with a slime coat additive. Beyond using a water conditioner, there honestly should be no reason to add any type of "medicines" as a form of prevention of anything.

The best "preventive medicine" for healthy, happy fish is simple- lots and lots of healthy water and a nutritious diet. These two things will accomplish far more in terms of health and prevention than any other unnecessary chemicals being added could possibly ever hope to achieve. :)

Thank you all so much for your input, I will just use the stress coat during wc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom