Merky tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoebe5800

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! Rather dim question but my tank water is turning increasingly green. I've replaced the filter sponge, tried numerous water clearing chemicals and tried to wait it out! Nothing is working and it seems to be getting worse- feeling very sorry for my fish! Does anyone know what I should do to solve this, it's driving me mad!
Thanks ?

First more information is needed. What size tank is it? How long has your tank been set up? Is your tank cycled? What are your water test readings? Do you have live plants? How many fish and what types? Until these are answered, you need to do a large water change. Make sure the substrate is clean of leftover food. If you are using lights, keep them on for only 6 hours a day if you have plants. If no plants, keep the lights off. The green water is an algae bloom.

My tank is about 30 litres, i set it up in august this year, I have 4 guppies, 2neons, one red robin gourami, 1 Dora and 1 catfish! I have no live plants and the water tests seem normal accept the general hardness which is very high!

Usually all day however my light broke so it hasn't been on for the past week

Your best bet to treat it is to do frequent water changes and replace your light. Fluorescent lights loose strength as they get older. You do not notice it but the plants do. After a year they tend to cause algae. That type of algae will also grow when there is an excess of nutrients. Once you get a light and do water changes for a couple of weeks, it should clear up. Have you thought about adding some easy live plants like java fern? They would soak up nutrients and keep the algae at bay.

It sounds like your lights being on so much caused an algae outbreak. The light being broken is a plus right now. 50% water changes every couple days, make sure your tank is not in direct sunlight, and cut back on your feedings. That should starve the algae and clear up your tank.

You should also start to rethink your stocking. 30 litres is a very small tank and you have a lot of fish. Do you know what species your catfish is? By Dora, I assume you mean a corydora? Do you know what species? If this were my tank I would return the neons and the "Dora" for sure, probably the catfish as well. 4 guppies (provided they are all male) and the gourami really is pushing the limits of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom