Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 525
Metal content in outside rocks?

I have a LOT of different sized and colored rocks around my house. I wash things carefully before putting them in my tank, but is there a possibility any of these rocks could raise my PH? I'm already on well water, so I was wondering if I should take some if not all of the rocks out of my tank. I don't have a ton of them in there, but I have a nice piece of manzanita that would be fine with the plants as far as appearance. The rocks are nice, but not at the expense of my water quality. The PH is holding steady at about 7.6 after spiking last weekend to over 8.2.

Thanks-D
__________________

__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Jantaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
I have a LOT of different sized and colored rocks around my house. I wash things carefully before putting them in my tank, but is there a possibility any of these rocks could raise my PH? I'm already on well water, so I was wondering if I should take some if not all of the rocks out of my tank. I don't have a ton of them in there, but I have a nice piece of manzanita that would be fine with the plants as far as appearance. The rocks are nice, but not at the expense of my water quality. The PH is holding steady at about 7.6 after spiking last weekend to over 8.2.

Thanks-D
Not sure of raising ph but minerals can leech into the water. Although not completely fool proof, if you pour vinegar on the rocks and they don't fizz, it should be okay, generally speaking. Fizzing indicates a compound you don't want in your tank is present.
__________________

__________________
Jantaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantaris View Post
Not sure of raising ph but minerals can leech into the water. Although not completely fool proof, if you pour vinegar on the rocks and they don't fizz, it should be okay, generally speaking. Fizzing indicates a compound you don't want in your tank is present.
Interesting. Yet another use for good ol vinegar. Thank you. D
__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
I put tons of rocks from the creek in my backyard in my tanks, never had a problem. There is lots of rocks in every body of water.
__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgiantsRP View Post
I put tons of rocks from the creek in my backyard in my tanks, never had a problem. There is lots of rocks in every body of water.
Yes, that's true. Nature has all kinds of things in the water that we probably don't have in our tanks. Thanks, I have some in there now, but I think I'll add more.
__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
If vinegar fizzes when put on a rock it means it can raise ph over time. Rocks that actually have metal in them can indeed leach into water and since an aquarium is a closed system with a small amount of water they can cause a buildup of toxins. Another thing to consider is rocks found in yards have usually been exposed to alot of different chemicals over the years and again they have the possibility of leaching unwanted chemicals into a tank. Poreous rocks are the main offenders but IMO why risk putting something into a tank that could potentially cause harm.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
If vinegar fizzes when put on a rock it means it can raise ph over time. Rocks that actually have metal in them can indeed leach into water and since an aquarium is a closed system with a small amount of water they can cause a buildup of toxins. Another thing to consider is rocks found in yards have usually been exposed to alot of different chemicals over the years and again they have the possibility of leaching unwanted chemicals into a tank. Poreous rocks are the main offenders but IMO why risk putting something into a tank that could potentially cause harm.
The good news is that my house is in the country and most of the rocks have never been in town. I agree though, not to take any chances. Most of it looks like a granite type of rock, but then I also have a lot of river rock that I had used to line a pathway around my house.
Thank you for your advice. D
__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
One time I had a rock that actually rusted in water!!??
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Love your avatar dreamroper!
__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Dreamroper's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Peyton, CO
Posts: 525
Thanks Cactuspixie! I think now that my plants have grown so much, I really don't need too many rocks anymore. Just a few here and there in strategic spots to make it look natural. I would post a picture of my tank, but for some reason I seem to have problems doing it.
__________________

__________________
Dreamroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
metal, rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.