Metal stand opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used metal wrought iron stands for years. When I got into the hobby thats all you could get. I had tanks as large as 55, on the top, and 40 Long on the bottom(those were huge tanks back then) and never had any problems. Just look the welds over well, to make sure none are cracked. Look at it this way, which is stronger,metal or wood;)

Personally, I would never use one of those iron stands. Too tall/shaky. I prefer a short/low-gravity solid wood dresser type thing. But, it's up to you.

I have a metal stand which holds 2 of my tanks my 55G and 20G long. It's a great stand no cons about it. This one looks a little shaky and I don't know what it is made out of. I just don't know if I would risk it but you can try it :) I wouldn't say it won't break or anything just don't bump into it.

The fact of the matter is that now a days most metal stands suck. I have an old iron stand from the 50-60s possibly 70s, one like foster suggested and this thing is solid. (i also have a 29gal) If you can find an older one then that would be great because back then the hip thing was tanks with slate bottoms and stainless steel triming all the way around, so that is alot heavier than a regular 29 gal so they can easily support a 29 gal. I just bought some peice of crap metal stand from walmart for a 30 gal and i am amazed that it has no bolts or anything, it just has a top, 2 sides and a bottom grate thing that pushes the sides out keeping them from collapsing. now i am a big guy at 6' 5" 280, the approx weight of a 30 gallon give or take and i gave it the old sit on test and it held. now of course this is not my first choice but unfortunately i only had one old iron stand laying around ;). The next best thing is a nice solid wood stand, not the ones made of crap particle board. it is really all up to your tastes in style and what you like and dont like and how fat your wallet is.

From how you described the stand i would NOT use it if it is whobbly.

Sorry you actually described it as flimsy but i still would not use it. and after actually looking at the link you provided i am astounded they sell that for 29 gallons. that has waaayyy too many stress points and i dont see how it could possibly hold a 29 gallon. I would NOT use that stand!

I have an older stand similar to that. It's rock solid.

I've never seen one of the real new stands and can't comment if they are strong enough or not, but I can say that if the stands were giving way and tanks were crashing to the floor, these companies would be getting sued by attorneys left and right. Especially stuff sold by Walmart and Petsmart. Lawyers would be all over 29 or 55 gallons of water and glass smashing to the floor from a faulty product.

I couldn't find one thread on here about a metal stand giving way or tipping either. I'm sure if they were collapsing more than wood stands we'd hear about it eventually.

It's the same outside footprint dimensions as a wood stand, must not be any more unstable.

I think you'll be fine if you set it on level ground and make sure everything is set correctly.

It is wobbly. Maybe I can beef it up a bit? And maybe brace it to the wall? Im on a small budget so I can't afford anything to expensive.

It is wobbly. Maybe I can beef it up a bit? And maybe brace it to the wall? Im on a small budget so I can't afford anything to expensive.

Strapping it to the wall on the top two risers by using long screws and metal lashing straps wouldn't be an unwise thing to do. Again, just make sure it stays level on all sides.

I think i may have misled you guys? should have explained my self more in detail. I leveled the stand placed the tank on it, gave it a like shake and it shakes but maybe by filling the tank with water the weight will prevent it from moving as much. i sat on the stand its sturdy enough to support me(190lbs). to me its flimsy but when I build something i tend to overbuild it. I probably should have build one instead of buying it? This was kind of an impulse buy. This is second tank but dont stands shake alittle?

Back
Top Bottom