Metallic Tank Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alice T.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I was in the middle of doing a water change when I realized that the water smelled metallic. I’ve tried looking it up but haven’t found anything. I have a planted 27 gallon tank with 6 Platys. Please help![emoji29]

Beyond what normally causes smells im not sure what specifically might cause a metallic smells. Possibly something in your tap water. Rust?

- Overfeeding.
- Excessive waste from overstocking.
- Dead and decomposing fish.
- Decomposing plant matter.

Generally to remove smells, deal with the source. Activated carbon or purigen in the filter is also good for removing unwanted odors.

Beyond what normally causes smells im not sure what specifically might cause a metallic smells. Possibly something in your tap water. Rust?

- Overfeeding.
- Excessive waste from overstocking.
- Dead and decomposing fish.
- Decomposing plant matter.

Generally to remove smells, deal with the source. Activated carbon or purigen in the filter is also good for removing unwanted odors.

Hmm, thanks for the advice! I’ve been using the same water for years and I’m just now dealing with this smell. I tend not to change my tank water too often, and just refill it when it evaporates. I do this because it’s a big tank with 4 adult platys. Maybe because of that, it’s a buildup in minerals?

Do you know your water parameters? If you are only topping up following evaporation then you aren't removing any waste and nitrates and phosphates will just build up and up. Your water will also just get more and more acidic.

You need to be removing water to remove the waste build up.

If thats the case, don't suddenly do a big water change because your fish will have got gradually used to these water conditions and a sudden change might kill them. I would recommend doing very small water changes to start, build up the amount you change slowly over over weeks/months until you are replacing minimum 30% per week.

Do you know your water parameters? If you are only topping up following evaporation then you aren't removing any waste and nitrates and phosphates will just build up and up. Your water will also just get more and more acidic.

You need to be removing water to remove the waste build up.

If thats the case, don't suddenly do a big water change because your fish will have got gradually used to these water conditions and a sudden change might kill them. I would recommend doing very small water changes to start, build up the amount you change slowly over over weeks/months until you are replacing minimum 30% per week.

Ohhhh ok. Thank you so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom