Micro bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have millions if not billions of micro bubbles inside my tank. My tank isn't really cloudy, and I can only see them when I am close to the tank. It does not bother me in the least, nor does it seem to bother my fish. All my fish are healthy.

What is the cause of this? And should this be a cause for concern?

I have 6 different species of live plants in my aquarium. It is a 10 gallon with an Aqueon HOB filter for up to 20 gallons. I use a 50 watt heater and keep my temp at 80 degrees.

How long has your tank been set up? What type of substrate do you have? Any air stones?

No air stones. I mean it's been set up for a week and a half now. But I moved and had the tank for 10 months. There were micro bubbles after 10 months in the old set up.

I use gravel as well. Stones are purple.

A picture would be helpful. It's not uncommon for some canister filters to produce micro bubbles when they aren't working correctly but never in 30 years have I heard of an HOB filter causing it. But have you tried turning off your filter for an hour to see if that is the cause?

Do you have a lot of algae in your tank by chance? I've seen tanks with a lot of algae in them that have lights left on way too long actually produce tons of oxygen bubbles during the day.

What conditioning products like Stress Coat are you using in the tank?

In reading some older threads I have seen mention of some HOB's causing microbubbles. Turning off the filter for a little while would tell you or sure if it is part of your cause.

I don't mind the bubbles one bit. In fact, it's kind of cool looking. I've had them the past 2 months and this is a new filter. Like past week and a half new. But I had it with my old filter too.

I always use stress coat when doing a water change and I have very little algae in the tank. I got a snail recently and now I throw in an algae wafer every other day but it's very small.

My tank is very heavily planted though.

My fish don't seem to mind :)

No CO2 at all.

Here's the image:

bZq54Wl.jpg

It would have to be the filter. Does it cascade into the tank like a waterfall? That can add a lot of bubbles.

I suppose it's like a waterfall
It's not excessive. It's how a HOB filter works.

There's no reason to be concerned right? My fish look healthy.

I don't mind it. My plants are nice and green.

Also that picture is taken on the opposite end of my filter.

It won't bother the fish and if you like it then don't try to fix what isn't broken... lol!

Back
Top Bottom