Micro bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Who do u get rid of micro bubbles in my tank? My tank is crystal clear but the micro bubbles give a sort of "cloudy impression"

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Who do u get rid of micro bubbles in my tank? My tank is crystal clear but the micro bubbles give a sort of "cloudy impression"

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

That would all depend on where they're coming from. I'm guessing the filter which could mean there is too high of a turnover rate, low water level, you're getting air in your filter somehow and need to fix that, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That would all depend on where they're coming from. I'm guessing the filter which could mean there is too high of a turnover rate, low water level, you're getting air in your filter
somehow and need to fix that, etc.

Water level is quite high actually. I also run 2 filters.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Check to make sure either of your filters aren't sucking in air

First, are you sure it's micro bubbles and not a bacterial or algae bloom? Pic would help.

Filters will suck air if the intake tube is ceacked... think of drinking through a cracked straw.

First, are you sure it's micro bubbles and not a bacterial or algae bloom? Pic would help.

Filters will suck air if the intake tube is ceacked... think of drinking through a cracked straw.

I'm assuming it's micro bubbles because my water is crystal and I mean CRYSTAL CLEAR without these very very tiny bubble floating up... I don't think my intake tube is cracked water has a nice constant flow

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Right. Are they just hang on back filters? Like Mebbid said, cracks in the intake tubing or if you have a canister any leaks in the tubing or loose seals can cause air to be sucked in. You don't have anything else like an air stone, powerhead, surface skimmer?

Right. Are they just hang on back filters? Like Mebbid said, cracks in the intake tubing or if you have a canister any leaks in the tubing or loose seals can cause air to be sucked in. You don't have anything else like an air stone, powerhead, surface skimmer?

Yes I have 2 hang on the back filters for my 40 bow front. And no I do not have any air stones or power heads

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I'm assuming it's micro bubbles because my water is crystal and I mean CRYSTAL CLEAR without these very very tiny bubble floating up... I don't think my intake tube is cracked water has a nice constant flow

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

They will still have a nice constant flow but a crack in the tube will suck up air bubbles which will then get chopped up by the impeller which results in micro bubbles. That's just about the only time I've ever seen micro bubbles actually being an issue for freshwater tanks. The water just doesn't hold the micro bubbles as well as salt water does.

whenever i do a water change at 50% or more ill have a tank with bubbles all over. It comes from the python hose. takes a day or 2 to go away. or you can just wipe them away on your own. my water was cloudy also, it was dust from the substrate.

here is a pic of what my tank looked like. its all clear now after a few days and a vacuum.

Attachments

• 20150227_172425.jpg
    20150227_172425.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 80
They will still have a nice constant flow but a crack in the tube will suck up air bubbles which will then get chopped up by the impeller which results in micro bubbles. That's just about the only time I've ever seen micro bubbles actually being an issue for freshwater tanks. The water just doesn't hold the micro bubbles as well as salt water does.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425470807.474791.jpg here's a pic of my tank not sure if it will help

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Could be cavitation in the plumbing. Is there a choke point somewhere?

I know I get micro bubbles from my co2 injection.

I recently had the same problem. I think it was from rinsing my filter when I did a water change.

I would try turning off a filter for a day and see if the bubbliness goes away. Then try the other one.

Plumbing for the house?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Plumbing for the tank. Whatever you have in the way of pipes or tubing leading from/to your filters.

A bottleneck upstream of a pump can cause a rapid change of pressure in the water flowing through it which will cause bubbles to form and get chopped up into finer bubbles that get returned to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom