Micro bubbles and overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is starting to kick off. 37 gallons. I have 5 zebra danios and have fjnished cycling as params are ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrate 10. So the final stock I want is
5 zebra danios
5 gold barbs or black phantom tetras
8 rumynose tetras
4 Julii Cory's
2 German blue rams
1 anglefish
1 bn pleco
Alot of ghost shrimp
So is that ok? Now for the other part
I've had the tank a while now and there's a huge circle of micro bubbles coming from the filter, and I can't seem to make them go away. I've raised the water level as high as possible, and made sure the filter is full of water. Any other ideas? It's really becoming the first thing you look at and a real eyesore. Hopefullyy I can get rid of the . Filter is a marineland penguin biowheel 200b

I opened this because the micro bubbles in my tank annoy me. Annnnnnd, I have the same filter. ha. They really are annoying right?!

Sorry I have such a useless reply.

Even after raising the water level, is the filter's waterfall lip at or below the water surface level?

If not then I'd suggest adding a loop extension. I have posted this in other threads but can't figure out how to paste links using the mobile app. Basically you are cutting a piece of the plastic strip that comes with all glass canopies to the width of the lip. The plastic strip is then bent in a way to redirect the water flow to be parallel with the surface. Note: The thinner plastic strips are much easier cut/work with. See the pics and hope this helps:
image-1568940562.jpg
image-1279085409.jpg
image-2003730433.jpg

Even after raising the water level, is the filter's waterfall lip at or below the water surface level?

If not then I'd suggest adding a loop extension. I have posted this in other threads but can't figure out how to paste links using the mobile app. Basically you are cutting a piece of the plastic strip that comes with all glass canopies to the width of the lip. The plastic strip is then bent in a way to redirect the water flow to be parallel with the surface. Note: The thinner plastic strips are much easier cut/work with. See the pics and hope this helps:

Errr...that should be "lip" extension not "loop" extension

Thank you so much for the reply! I believe the filter is under the water. I could raise the water more, but there is the center brace and I do not want to fill above that, is it safe to fill above tha?

I would not raise it any more. Personally I would keep the center brace out of the water. I like to keep the surface water moving. Otherwise I have found that sometimes a slime layer builds up on the surface and I have a feeling this would negatively affect gas exchange at the surface. In fact, water from the lip extension has very little turbulence in the form of splashing and bubbles and on the far side of the tank it appears that the surface water just sits there (no visible moment). To remedy this I have some ceramic rings joined with a loop of fishing line (think necklace) sitting at the top of a AquaClear 50 HOB. I pull a few rings down towards the lip and they provide just enough turbulence to produce a FEW small bubbles. Just enough to break up the slime layer at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom