Mid to top dwelling fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkuzel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for some odd ball fish that are mid to top dwelling, to add to my ram tank. I was thinking rainbows, I don't want any more tetras, because I have three scissor-tails, and I'm kinda over the tetra, and live-bearer stage in my fishly-hood.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I run my tank at around 80 degrees, and on the alkaline side about 7.4-ish. All other parameters are in the normal range. I've heard an African Butterfly fish would be a good addition, anyone have one? Maybe some type of Rainbow, or an American Flag Fish?
Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in Advance!

But hatchetfish are technically tetras! Haha but they are a great choice if you want top dwelling fish I have to agree. I'm not sure what level flagfish swim at but I know if they are kept with aggressive species they tend to hide a lot. They also get kinda aggressive during breeding. I read that if you want to keep flagfish in a community it is best with two males only.

Usually killifish tend to be high to mid swimming fishies. And a blue lyre tail killifish is gorgeous.

And I wouldn't write off tetras. There are so many different types, I would just try to look for the less common if that's what you're after. I like rummynose. They are very available but I don't think they are an "overused" fish.

Very true. I have to try and find a different kind than the classic neon black skirt red eye common types. I have had rummy nose, I was looking at bloodfins. Just wanna try and keep it busy on the top. I guess haha.

Harlequin rasboras are also a good mid to top dweller and they look great when they school. I agree with predfan- killis are a cool looking fish that are fun to watch although I have to admit ive never owned any.

Yeah, the only thing we carry at my petco (or that we can order) are the golden wonder killies, which look like yellow platys (in my opinion) I'll have to check with some other LFS. Do you guys have rainbows of any sort? or have any input on them?

If you want a top swimmer you can't go wrong with an African Butterfly Fish. They look totally oddball from all angles as well. Kind of sci-fi arowana from below, and butterfly from the top. I'm looking for some for my tank currently. :)

For a mid swimmer you could try some variety of shark. Balas are the most common, but red-tail and rainbows are more colorful and interesting and can get quite large. Depends on what other kind of fish you have in the tank though. In my experience balas are very friendly, but red-tails and rainbows are a bit more aggressive when kept with fish smaller than them.

I'd probably go for a rainbow fish, angelfish or something along that variety if you're looking for something a little different for mid-level.

How large is your tank though? I'm assuming it's quite large since you said it's for rams, but it could limit your choices dramatically.

I have a 48 gallon tank, with quite a few other fish. I'm not much of an over stocking Gestapo. haha. I see what works, and what doesn't. I've heard no one could ever go wrong with a rainbow.

I have a 40 gallon tank and I have two knife fish a black ghost knife fish a silver dragon fish and a crawdad they are all carnivores and nocturnal but when you feed them its super cool. I also have a 15 gallon tank and it has a figure 8 puffer fish and a green spotted puffer fish everything is freshwater except the puffers that's slightly brackish water but they are beautiful fish and the puffers are almost like dogs when I walk in my room they go to the side of the tank an wait for me to feed them. If I were you I'd personally do some research on them for keeping and the puffers are pretty much every where in the tank just watch them cuz they can sometimes be fin nippers.

Rainbowfish can be a nice choice due to the amount of different colors you can find them in. Personally I love the smaller Threadfin Rainbowfish. I have 12 in my 220g and would like to get more. They tend to stay in the upper water levels and they are so unique. Males display alot and they do color up nice after they have assimilated to the tank and settled in for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom