midwater fish that don't need plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillHicks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm setting up a 55 gallon "river tank" with rocks and driftwood, but no plants. Is there a good midwater fish I can use that doesn't really need plants to be happy? I was thinking of getting 4 or 5 rainbows but wasn't sure if they would feel safe without any plants in the tank.

Loaches would be good and are more likely to spend time away from the bottom with good current I've found. I've found cherry barbs do well in high current but they need spots where the current is broken, fwiw. Silk plants would look nice as they would have that adapted-to-current look (from what I've read about silk plants). Better would be a bunch of anacharis (low light, low maint minus trimming) and some screw in cfls or whichever light works in your hood. Nano river tank with this plant.

I keep tiger barbs in my 55 gallon SA/CA cichlid tank. It only has rock caves, driftwood, and a large pot. The 8 tiger barbs and 2 green tiger barbs seem to do fine with no plants, and they are very active and hardy. If you choose TBs make sure to get at least 6 to cut down on fin nipping, with 10 barbs in my tank this has never been a problem for me. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom