Might go planted...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U could get new bulbs. But the single t8 is goin to only allow u low light plants. Co2 isn't necessary for most lowlight plants imo. You should consider a full spectrum bulb. 6700 k is the rec for plants... But the 10000 k will meet the requirements and looks Sooo much better... 6700 is a little purple and not ecstatic pleasing. If u want to do somethin.g co2 wise. Most use Excel it helps considerably w speeding up growth... Also water wistria is my fav lowlight plant...

If your doing a planted tank you will need plant bulbs, I would use fluorite as a sub-strait and you will have to add co2 by either liquid or gas. Fluval makes a great co2 gas system a bottle will last a month.

Flossie said:
And this wouldnt require much additional equipment? If any?

If I were to get co2 would that make a difference in plants or just mostly the lighting ?

Also I could just get different bulbs later on right...? With a different Kelvin and spectrum... ? ( scratches head ) ??? Lol

The co2 could help, but usually you only need co2 with medium-high light. You could also dose ferts. Changing the bulb would probably help, although you may already have the brightest ones available.

FireRAT3 said:
If your doing a planted tank you will need plant bulbs, I would use fluorite as a sub-strait and you will have to add co2 by either liquid or gas. Fluval makes a great co2 gas system a bottle will last a month.

But aren't the refills really expensive?

You could just make a DIY one and get a diffuser off eBay. The DIY only requires sugar and yeast.

joejeff said:
You could just make a DIY one and get a diffuser off eBay. The DIY only requires sugar and yeast.

^ I agree. DIY co2 is the easiest and cheapest way. But it isn't very powerful, and can end up being very messy. Lol

maxwellag said:
^ I agree. DIY co2 is the easiest and cheapest way. But it isn't very powerful, and can end up being very messy. Lol

She is wrkn w a smaller tank.. and the mess can be avoided w a second bottle b4 tank so if yeast pops it doesn't go into tank...

I guess I could start out with lowlight and just work with what I have for now. I hate icky looking plants though and I would hate to do all the work of rescaping and adding more sand stuff If it Isnt going to work out right.... How much does it cost to refill the co2? I could get different bulbs later too I'm not to fond of those... I have some on my cichlid tank that look amazing.. More of a bluish light. I need to see what those bulbs are lol

Look up DIY ones. It just takes sugar and yeast in a bottle. But co2 canisters can be refilled at a lot of places if u got that way. Like hardwarestores. It was like $5 when I played paintball...

joejeff said:
Look up DIY ones. It just takes sugar and yeast in a bottle. But co2 canisters can be refilled at a lot of places if u got that way. Like hardwarestores. It was like $5 when I played paintball...

See I'm afraid I'm not smart enough of craft enough for DIY co2 lol and I have a three yr old nephew who would probably find it and thing it is a toy lol

You dont need co2 to have a planted tank unless you are overdosing on light, intentionally or otherwise. They are tons of low to medium light plants they will thrive without co2.

aqua_chem said:
You dont need co2 to have a planted tank unless you are overdosing on light, intentionally or otherwise. They are tons of low to medium light plants they will thrive without co2.

Ok awesome! So I would just need "plant food" ? Lol
I'm cool with it being as easy as possible but I want the plants beautiful and green and not half dead. I can't even keep regular plants nice and green hahaha

I agree. U don't always need co2. I was just say.g.if it is needed. No need to buy it...

Flossie said:
Ok awesome! So I would just need "plant food" ? Lol
I'm cool with it being as easy as possible but I want the plants beautiful and green and not half dead. I can't even keep regular plants nice and green hahaha

You shouldnt need ferts for some plants. IMO you will do fine with hornwort (grow like a weed), java fern, java moss, anacharis, and penny wort without any special lighting, CO2 and ferts.

ok so all i need to get started is some good organic soil under my sand bed?

No. I wouldn't recommend dirt tanks to beginners, although some would disagree with me.

My old adage is that if you can't keep your plants alive with gravel/sand and root tabs, then all the special substrate in the world won't help you.

aqua_chem said:
No. I wouldn't recommend dirt tanks to beginners, although some would disagree with me.

My old adage is that if you can't keep your plants alive with gravel/sand and root tabs, then all the special substrate in the world won't help you.

Oh ok awesome! Well hopefully I'll be able to do it planted soon and I'll probably need some help along the way to make sure I'm doing it right! Thank u

Aqua Chem has a point; I think I may be projecting my next project on to your project, hmmmm lol, but do keep us posted on your progress....it's gonna be awesome!

akagochi said:
Aqua Chem has a point; I think I may be projecting my next project on to your project, hmmmm lol, but do keep us posted on your progress....it's gonna be awesome!

Lol!! Ok! It may be a while for me since I had some sort of illness wipe out 7 of my fish. I'm monitoring the remaining 3 before I start a stressful project but it sounds fun ;)

Back
Top Bottom