Mild brackish tank ideas/pics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crickit99

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to be putting a brackish tank together in the near future, and I have only had freshwater so far. (For Fig 8 puffers and gobies)

I know plants are pretty much not an option :( So I am looking at ideas for the tank.

For those with brackish tanks, I'd love to see pictures or what has worked for you (or not worked) in the tank. And any websites involving brackish systems you can recommend, as well.

Christina

Gobies are mostly brackish water fish...(that may survive in freshwater but do best in brackish).

Java fern is listed as a plant that will do fine in brackish water.

The gobies will be in brackish water..?? The brackish tank will be for Fig 8s and Gobies....I was saying my current tanks are all fresh water, sorry about that!

I have a BW tank with bb gobies, flounder and Celebes Rainbows. Gobies are nippers and I would not recommend putting in fish with pretty plumage (as I did, now all the fish are stumpy :()

Anyway, to go BW, you need marine grade salt. For substrate, I have sand and added SW shells (for the gobies). I also have some natural wood and a slab of basalt. If I clean up the algae, I will post a pic. You may need to remind me. There are close ups of the gobies and flounder in my gallery.

Oh, sure Menagerie! Now I went and looked at your gallery and found that picture of the little bumblebee goby staring right at the camera...and now I want one...*whine*

Well I have him as the picture on my desktop. That will have to do for now! lol

LMAO

Exactly how many tanks do you have???

I am doing my best not to spend my birthday money on new equipment, but pictures of cute little fish like that make it very difficult!

Thanks everyone!

I may go ahead and do this tank next, as it won't cost as much since I don't need to spend the money on lighting.

I know some people have been able to do Java Ferns in a light brackish tank though. I have a feeling the Figure 8's I'll be getting will be from a place that has them in freshwater. I'll post this question under plants as well, but since I will have to slowly acclimate the tank to brackish, perhaps the plants will be OK? I'm not a plant person in general, so I'm clueless on how you'd acclimate plants.

I'm going with sand for this tank, but I just don't know what other options I have for decorations. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of rocks.

Christina

Wood, fake or real, makes nice decor. When I made the switch, I had everything in place in a FW tank--the fish, the snails and the decor (fake plants, a rock and wood). The tank was cycled and I began adding salt over a two week period. The bb gobies showed marked improvement and all the fish are doing well. By adding salt slowly, the bacteria were able to convert and the tank did not recycle.

Back
Top Bottom