Mini Bow Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a mini bow tank that had goldfish in it about three weeks ago when they ended up dying (long story) so the tank (water) was cleaned out and water tested is perfect as of last night. It has been running ever since. My question is this. Can I just put a Betta in it? The tank is cycled from the gold fish, gravel and filter have not been cleaned or changed. Is it safe to use? There is no heater in it as well.

depends on what the goldfish died from. If it were me I would clean everything and start over but thats just my opinion.

goldfish died from ammonia poising in another tank, we just moved it there until we could fix the other tank. Unfortunately it didn't last long enough to put back into 25 gal tank. It wasn't dead from and disease

The goldfish was in the tank for three days, but before that there were fish in it for about a weeks time.

I don't think a week-2 weeks is long enough for a tank to have cycled, especially since with the goldfish, the bacteria would have had to readjust from the massive waste-load of the goldfish. You could put a betta in there, but the tank would still need to re-cycle, I would think.

A betta will do fine in a fish-in cycle as long as you are diligent with your water changes.

How about Giant Danios fry about 1" long to cycle the tank. Would they be big enough to cycle the mini bow. I used them (adults) to cycle two 10 gallon tanks.

vaquero said:
I don't know the exact size but it cant be more than a gallon size tank

So the tanks only about 1 gallon? It's not suitable for any fish at all I'm sorry. Not even a betta. You could keep a very small colony of snails or shrimp.

So the tanks only about 1 gallon? It's not suitable for any fish at all I'm sorry. Not even a Betta. You could keep a very small colony of snails or shrimp.

But it was sold as a Betta tank! Why would you say it is not suitable for any fish????? Look it up online it is a Mini Bow Tank. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• mini bow.JPG
    mini bow.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
So the tanks only about 1 gallon? It's not suitable for any fish at all I'm sorry. Not even a Betta. You could keep a very small colony of snails or shrimp.

But it was sold as a Betta tank! Why would you say it is not suitable for any fish????? Look it up online it is a Mini Bow Tank. Here is a picture of it.

There are many things sold for pets that aren't good, recommended, healthy, etc. Just like stuff sold for people that's probably not the best for them (think McDonalds and junk food). You'll find lots of controversial opinions on a 1gal tank for bettas. It's better than a bowl, yes, but a 3 gal is better than a 1 gal and a 5 gal is better than 3 gal, and a 10 gal is better than a 5 gal, etc etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
vaquero said:

I agree with Kryticouple. Just because it was sold as a betta tank doesn't mean it's suitable. Just look at goldfish bowls as an example. They are sold as the perfect place for your new goldie but in reality goldfish need large tanks with heavy filtration or ponds.

Mumma.of.two said:
I agree with Kryticouple. Just because it was sold as a betta tank doesn't mean it's suitable. Just look at goldfish bowls as an example. They are sold as the perfect place for your new goldie but in reality goldfish need large tanks with heavy filtration or ponds.

This. Corporations want your dollars not any sort of happiness/life for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom