mini cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I always check my water after my water change to make sure all is well, and it turns out that I may be having a mini cycle. My ammonia test (API) is 99% yellow, but just noticeably reading a green hue.

Besides changing the water more often, is there anything else I should do?

How does a mini cycle progress? Is it just a small spike in ammonia, or will that result in a small spike in nitrItes later?

readings
ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
nitrItes: 0 ppm
nitrAtes: 10 ppm
pH: 7.8
GH: 6
°
KH: 4
°

Water changes are the best. However it is a good idea to figure out why the mini cycle occured in the first place.

Just keep an eye on it. With that small ammonia, it may just end up being no more than that one time.

Well, the mini cycle could be from adding new fish to the tank, and the bacteria have yet to catch up on the new levels of ammonia produced. I'm hopeful that they'll catch up quickly.

Once the ammonia-eating bacteria catch up, could there be a small nitrIte spike that I have to watch out for?

I also heard that they last no more than a week, if everything is fine and nothing changed in the tank, should be over in 3 to 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom