Mini seaweed in my filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone come across an algae that looks and smells like seaweed?
It was stuck all over the bottom of the bottom two media baskets. It grows in strands, with fern-like branches:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406458028.294739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found the same thing in my pond filter. Closest I can ID them to is Bryozoan. Tiny, sessile, multi-branched, filter feeding organisms. In the wild the colonies can form large "blobs". They are probably enjoying the current provided by the filter.

I found the same thing in my pond filter. Closest I can ID them to is Bryozoan. Tiny, sessile, multi-branched, filter feeding organisms. In the wild the colonies can form large "blobs". They are probably enjoying the current provided by the filter.

Oh no! Now I feel bad- they are ANIMALS??!!

Fresh2o thank you for finding that for me, I never would have found that out by myself!

These guys are in the filter of a tank that I have been battling a number of diseases in. They must be tough- I even treated that tank with copper!

Oh no! Now I feel bad- they are ANIMALS??!!

Fresh2o thank you for finding that for me, I never would have found that out by myself!

These guys are in the filter of a tank that I have been battling a number of diseases in. They must be tough- I even treated that tank with copper!

I'm sure there are more things crawling around in your tank than you realize. In my shrimp tank there are MTS, seed shrimp, Copepods, freshwater limpets, planaria, detritus worms, and hydra. Not always present at the same time but I see a majority of these in there.

I can back up fresh2o. Once when I was planting (I went to the river and took some natives to set up a native tank for my friend) and get this, there was a really small frog egg that became a tadpole in the plant XD

A lot of little guys can be in our tanks lol I also see detritus worms from time to time.

If you can support organisms without meaning to, your fish are probably doing well. XD

How do you know if there are hydra in your tank they can't be seen by the naked. Eye

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some can be large enough to see.

+1 The hydra I've seen in both planted and shrimp tank were usually about 1/4". Small but still a concern around baby shrimp. I've had small tetras and danios eat them but they must have been distasteful because they would promptly spit them out.

Back
Top Bottom