Minimum tank size for clown loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know they can reach up to ten inches... I'm just not sure what the minimum tank size for them is.

You can keep them in a smaller tank but you have to be prepared to upgrade your tank size as they grow.

In my opinion, you could consider the angelicus loach/botia as an alternative...they have pretty nice markings and are about half the size.

I was in the market for some clown loaches for my 125g but couldn't find any locally that were big enough to go in with the cichlids.

i ended up getting 2 blueberry loaches, or blue botias. They are so amusing to watch! They are super cool fish in my opinion.

jdmaze said:
You can keep them in a smaller tank but you have to be prepared to upgrade your tank size as they grow.

In my opinion, you could consider the angelicus loach/botia as an alternative...they have pretty nice markings and are about half the size.

Hmm, I'll look them up. What's their minimum tank size?

carey said:
I was in the market for some clown loaches for my 125g but couldn't find any locally that were big enough to go in with the cichlids.

i ended up getting 2 blueberry loaches, or blue botias. They are so amusing to watch! They are super cool fish in my opinion.

I'll look them up too! I like the angelicus loaches a lot, I just need to know their minimum tank requirements, and wether they need groups to decide lol.

I have a question. What would be wrong with keeping them in a grow out tank? I could trade those back to the LCD and grt smaller ones so that those larger would be ready for a larger tank size wise?

I only added 2 to my tank, they seem very happy with each other. :) Hope I shouldn't have gotten more LOL

somethingsfishy said:
I have a question. What would be wrong with keeping them in a grow out tank? I could trade those back to the LCD and grt smaller ones so that those larger would be ready for a larger tank size wise?

The only thing is that I personally would get too attached lol. Then I wouldn't be able to take then back lol.

Homedog98 said:
Hmm, I'll look them up. What's their minimum tank size?

They get to be about 5 inches and like to be kept in groups...three although I am guilty of keeping only two at moment and they seem pretty content.

jdmaze said:
They get to be about 5 inches and like to be kept in groups...three although I am guilty of keeping only two at moment and they seem pretty content.

And the minimum tank size?

Homedog98 said:
And the minimum tank size?

I always think that depends on how many you keep and what else you are keeping with them. Safe bet is 50/55 gallon minimum since they are still going to be 5 inches and you are probably keeping other fish.

With the grow out tank thing, lots of people don't bring them back when they should and the fish can get stunted

Aquadestroyer said:
Bigger tanks are always fun!

Yes... But sadly, I must wait. :( mom says no more tanks. :'( then... Once I get into and out of college, (and get a job lol) I will have 3 10 gallon tanks, 2 30 gallon tanks, 1 55 gallon, and 2 125 gallons. I'm 13 lol... Right now I just have 1 10 and 1 30. One 125 will have my clown loaches lol! And it will also have a rainbow shark... Cause I love them lol.

Back
Top Bottom