Miracle fish thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok, this is a thread to post aobut your amazing miracle fish, the amazing survivor, the radioactively large fish, whatever sets them above the rest.

Here is mine.
Black Neon Tetra
ok, so whats the big deal, cheap common fish right? He is in a 75 gallon tank, with 2 medium bichirs, 2 small bichirs, 2 medium sized fish eating catfish, a smaller fish eating catfish, and an ABF. I will put 100 feeders in the tank that are LARGER than the neon, and they are all gone in days. When I placed the neon in the tank about 5 months ago, there whree 3 of em, 2 of em where eaten within weeks. This one single fish has lasted. I dont know how. It absolutely amazes me. I am truelly shocked, I am wondering how long he will b e able to keep from bein eaten, he is livin on borrowed time.

wow, that is one lucky tetra!
mine's a rainbow shark.
a true fighter. has been through all kinds of setups - planted, barren malawi, planted again, uncycled tanks etc etc. has been with me since the beginning. almost touching 5" from an inch.

Mine would be my first betta. Well, that should really speak for itself. He was my first fish, so he was subjected to life in a bowl (until I learned better). He has been in 5 different tanks, 2 different bowls, and had many tank mates. He has bred once, and the second time, got his butt kicked. He looked like a girl afterwards. He is now in his own tank, on the road to recovery.

I have an ob peacock that i got out of an 'asst african' tank at work. Like africans do sometimes....it had a 'heart attack' sort of deal so i pulled it out and put it aside. 15min later i checked on it it was just chillin in the container.
I've since had it for a few months and it is doing great.

Wayyyy before I was ever into fish, when I was probably about 10 years old, I won a goldfish at a carnival. There was probably about a hundred of them in a garbage can, and they pulled out mine, threw it in a bag and gave it to me.
I took it home and put it in my brother's fish tank, and it outlived/outgrew every other fish in the tank (I think it was a 29g). It must have lived 5-6 years and got quite large.
Pretty impressive for a fish out of a garbage can.

I had a 4 yr old betta.

A 13" rhino pleco when all the literature says they get only 8-10"

A 7 yr old black skirt tetra my friend no longer wanted

A pair of betta bellica. Both of them jumped multiple times, and we always found them dry and black on the carpet. When I scooped them up, though, they'd start flopping around and were ok as soon as they went back in the tank. Mr. bellica died when he flopped his way under a couch and we didn't find him until we moved. :( Ms. bellica then got a brick placed on her tank lid so the escape attempts stopped.

Years ago I had a magical pleco who would disappear....

I would find him sitting atop the glass cover sunning himself in theopen air under the canopy

I've had two, a Betta and a Paradise fish. The Betta was the first, I removed him from the tank after getting beat up, and while waiting to buy a tank for him I placed him in a Melanochromis Auratus grow out tank, which housed twenty quarter inch fry(Big mistake!). They mauled the poor guy leaving him with only his pectoral fins, he quickly recovered only to meet his demise by getting his head stuck in a snail shell and drowning.

The Paradise fish was thought to be lost due to a power outtage caused by an ice storm. I packed up all of my breeding stock and went to my parents house until we had power again. When I got back home the temp in his tank was thirty degrees and he was lying on the bottom amongst the neons. I started netting out the fish, bumping him with the net and up he popped. He was acting like nothing even happened. I still have this guy, he is healthy and very happy.

How many times did he manage to do this and live to tell about it?

Dino was a baby when I got him, and he was about 6-8" when he started doing this, and he did it quite often...I used to joke that he was part mudskipper...I don't know how long he was there,never actually saw him squeeze up there...if I didn't see him in the tank, I knew where to find him and would push him back in...I had to give him up when he got too big (at about 10-12")...I sold him to my LFS, where he lived out his life cleaning the big tanks...He was 14 years old...

I had a chinese algae eater once that was in a decor. rock that I took out of the tank and forgot about it till hours later! he was still in the rock looking at me, so I grabbed the rock and threw it in a tank and he lived.
I also had a miricale betta that lived like 5 years, he went from vase, 5gall, vase, 1gall, 10 gall, 5gall, vase, 2 gall, back to 5gall, ....dont know how it did it

I retract my bid for miracle fish of the year :p Apparantly, my bichirs found out through the grapevine that I said they where slackin lettin this neon stay alive...cause he aint...not any more...and my big bichir has a nice littlle bulge and slight smirk..he aint hidin nothin.

About a year ago I caught a HUGE 2foot female Albino catfish from the lake in my backyard. She was beautiful, she had a tanish coloration with bright orange fins and an orange head with bright red eyes. I didn't have anywhere to put her and it was too late to run to kmart and get a rubbermaid container so I stuck her in my 29G tank with my adult gold gourami. It was soo tight in there that she couldn't barely move or even turn around and face the other direction. Later that night I heard a splash and found her on the floor. She did this several times and I just kept on putting more weight on the lid. I later fell asleep to wake up 5 hours later and find her on the floor again all dried up and motionless. I quickly picked her up and decided to put her back in the lake. I never saw her again. :( I later thought to myself, I should of stuck her in the bathtub.

I was wondering how much such a magnificent animal is worth? Anyone know? I don't know what kind of catfish she was since I have never found any pics of one online. I live in Miami Florida btw and the lake is on a gulf coarse connected to 50 other lakes and canals. I've seen manatees from time to time and huge kois and the occasional dead body.

FW lake? well, it was either Bullhead, channel cat, or a blue cat. Bull heads are real easy to tell apart, their head looks like it has two bulbous areas on either side of the head on top.

I have a story that will horrify most of you. In college, I lived with a couple roommates in an apartment. I brought my 150 gallon cichlid tank from home to place in the living room.

One night I was at College of Design working on a project. When I got home I saw my roommates and a couple of their friends cheering while watching my fish tank. As I approached, I noticed that they put two male bettas in the tank. One betta was already dead and the other one was being eaten alive by my cichlids. I rushed to the kitchen to grab a container and placed the betta (with water) into it. The poor thing couldn't even swim because his fins had been eaten. Over the course of about a month, I had to hand feed it, and eventually; it grew its fins back. He finally became a healthy fish again.

Don't worry, I let my roommates have it.

I am gettinga new roomate in a few days. I dont know who, wont know him until he moved in. My biggest fear is him thinkin that all the fish tanks are toys, and that he can screw with em if he wants.

Jarred Darque said:
I am gettinga new roomate in a few days. I dont know who, wont know him until he moved in. My biggest fear is him thinkin that all the fish tanks are toys, and that he can screw with em if he wants.

LOL. You should make some sort of locking mechanism on your canopy so that only you have access inside the tank and put a lock on your stand doors so that he can't mess with equipment.

Back
Top Bottom