Mirror Background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking it would be interesting to get a fitted piece of mirror as a background to my community tank. Would make the tank appear bigger and I just haven't seen it done before. Is this a bad idea? Would the fish freak out? Right now I just have my 5 danios and I just got 3 red eyed tetras (I think that's what the LFS guy said they were called).

It could easily confuse/freak out/stress the fish

Besides, everytime you look in ur tank, you would be staring at urself =o)

I didn't think of that! But, fortunately for me, I am a vampire and probably wouldn't see myself in the mirror anyway :twisted:

Not worth the risk, I'll go with no mirror. Probably too expensive anyway.

A piece of fitted mirror is definitely going to cost you a bit - I know a guy that runs a glass and mirror shop.

I have seen reflective backgrounds at my LFS, maybe you should check around?

My friend has a community tank with a mirror background, fish try schooling with their reflections constantly. I feel horrible for the fish :(

I recently purchased a 55-gallon w/ a mirror background already in tact....my fish don't seem to mind it at all. Right now, I only have mollies and zebra danios, but then I haven't asked them if they like the mirror or not... :roll: :D

I would never put a beta in it of course....that would just be plain mean!

Mirrors and fish just sound plain awful anyway, would you want to stare at yourself all day!? :?

fish try schooling with their reflections constantly. I feel horrible for the fish

Why? If anything, it might be helpful....I mean, let's face it....fish are smart, but not that smart. If a fish is trying to school with his own reflection, then he's happy that he found a friend to pal around with....the fact that "you" know that it's his reflection....well, you can just keep that a secret and not tell him.

That maybe true, but I'm trying to stop my fish from schooling with their own reflections. Its a bit annoying watching them slide up and down the side of the tank trying to meet his own reflection.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop this mirror effect?

I have a 15 gal stretched hex with mollies and a male betta. The all ignore the mirror back.

Well, the back of mine is not a mirror, and neather are the sides, but because of the light , the sides turn into mirrors, I was just wondering if there was any way of stopping this?

I want to keep putting a bored on the sides as my last resort as it'll make the tank look pretty boxed in

You could try to plant heavily in front of the part that creates the mirror effect. That might at least reduce some of the reflection?

Has anyone got any ideas on how to stop this mirror effect?
Change the angle and placement of the lighting in your tank? Perhaps a small change can effect the amount of reflection the fish percieve? or perhaps a change in the lighting outside the tank?

I have a 45 gallon mirror back and have never had any problems with the fish being confused. I have always loved it because it makes the tank look fuller...more plants and fish. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom