mirrors on the back of a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molotov256

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've heard that putting a mirror on the back of your tank can make it look bigger and create better lighting. I've also heard that some fish freak out at their reflection, which would make the mirror a bad idea...

I have on oscar and 3 cichlids in my 55g tank. Would a mirror bother them?

Depends on the fish. Mirrors are used with bettas to get them to flare; they think the reflection is another betta. Its possible your guys may have the same issue; try it and see how it goes! If you find them ramming themselves into the tank wall where the mirror is, its prob not a good idea *grin*

I thought about doing this also, Just didn't know where to get a mirror big enough to go across my 55 gal, Then there is the weight problem. How do you mount something that big?

You don't use a glass mirror for that!! Find some mirror film - basically plastic foil with a mirror surface. I've seen it sold for windows to reflect heat. Then - you can use the duct tape & chewing gum method! :D

You can also attach a glass mirror to the wall behind your tank. I attached a large glass mirror in my bathroom using construction adhesive. Just make sure you glue to the high points of the wall & use enough of the stuff - a large glob every 6" in a grid. To be safe, I also added a strip of wood at the bottom for the mirror to rest on (although that is considered overkill). BTW - this is permanant - you will destroy the wall & the mirror if you try to move it! For non-permanant attachement, use mirror clips.

As far as mirror film goes you can see if your local autoparts store has it - sometimes people use mirror film to tint their car windows (i think it is retarded)
but I know for a fact that mirror film for automobile windows exist. It has adhesive so you can glue it right to the outside of the back tank wall.

At my local meijer they sell a tank backing that is mirrored. It is silver mirror on one side and blue mirror on the other. I have it on both of my 10 gal betta tanks and would love to have it on my 46 gal tank but can't find it big enough.

However, the car tint is an excellent idea. The only problem would be putting it on an already set-up tank. Especially one as big as 46 gal. I will have to keep looking, there should be something out there.

I just tinted the back of my 46 gallon when I got it. We tint windows at work so i just grabbed some reflective tint and went to town. The fish love hugging the back wall. The clown loaches really like to swim in circles up and down at their reflection.. The only thing i don't like is the tank looks dirtier quicker. I also put a layer of 15% tint on my 20 gallon-works pretty well. If you tint the tank use a water solution with a little bit of baby soap mixed in, clean the glass very well then squirt the glass and a little bit on the tint. lay it down and press out bubbles and fluid with a stiff squeege or rubber something or other.. If you dont get the bubbles out its pretty noticeable..sorry for the rant

You guys all rock, thanks for the answers...

About that mirror film at the auto parts store... is it self adhesive, or could I just use some scotch tape or something to hold it on the back of the tank like I did with my background now?

Most of the stuff from auto parts stores has its own adhesive - you peel a backing off of the sheet and place on glass with soapy water solution and squish out water and bubbles and let it dry. It would be a pain in to take of if you do it that way but if you just tape it to the wall it just doesnt look quite right. You might want to just call a few places that tint auto or home windows and ask how much for a hunk of film - its a lot heaver duty than the stuff from parts stores-you cant really scratch or tear the professional stuff when applying-bigger sheets available for bigger tanks also. If your tank is against the wall it may be hard to apply.....

None of the auto parts stores has it here, I tried to get some for my bathroom window :roll: . I guess I'll keep trying to find some.

here's an idea: mirrored plexi

I got a piece cut for my tank and it is awsome - weight is negligible as a couple pieces of scotch tape is holding it up.

More than likely no matter where you live there is a plastics fabricator in the area or some other small place that might carry it. My piece... 18" x 24" cost $4.something I believe.

It even comes in different colors too! :)

Back
Top Bottom