Miss- ID'd fish? Chinese algae eater or Gold algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey!

My fish can be located here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/data/554/medium/Chinese_Sucker.jpg

This is a picture i took a month ago (or so)

I look online for chinese algae eaters and lo and behold... they're brown. So i finally found a fish that resembles mine:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=938

Is this REALLY what my "chinese algae eater" is? Did Big AL's screw up? Its sad that its taken me almost a year to notice... and it WOULD explain why it attacked my cherry barbs almost regularly (i moved them to my 44 gallon when i got it) Now its just the frog, My "chinese algae eater" and 6 neon tetra's.

Yeah, it's quite weird. I've NEVER seen it even notice the tetra's. But it would regularly chase the cherries across the tank 3 or 4 times before it gave up. It stressed one out (the smaller of the 2 barbs) and eventually it went belly up, i had one for a while then bought 2 more smaller guys.

It also doesn't care about my frog. Nor did it care about my clown loach when it was in there. Odd eh?

This is a CAE

cae1.jpg

dave

Bah. I'll have to wait until i get home. The proxy at my work blocked that image because its from "girlnextdoor.tv" ...

[does double-take]

(from the popular movie starring elisa cuthbert!!!!)

lol

a Golden Algae Eater is the albino form of a Chinese Algae Eater... they are the same fish.
Thier aggression, which increases with age, is usually against "flat" sided fish.

They do not eat bba. SAEs do (Siamese Algae Eater).
Florida Flagfish will also eat bba. These are the only 2 known species that do to my knowledge.

Simpte said:
They do not eat bba. SAEs do (Siamese Algae Eater).
Florida Flagfish will also eat bba. These are the only 2 known species that do to my knowledge.
I can attest to this. But beware of keeping the CAE with an SAE. Mine treats it as his mortal enemy. Must be some kinda species superiority thing or something!

Also, my peacful Rainbow Shark hated the GAE (CAE) and would go berzerko whenever he saw him... massively diplaying.

I had an algae eater that was half cae brown and half gold when I bought it but is now all gold. SAE are more peaceful and do a great job, but they are often mislabeled and so you may end up with an aggressive Flying Fox that will pick on other fish and not eat algae. Florida-flag fish do a good job with BBA also but they can be mean to smaller fish, especially when they get older, and when spawning-they are very protective parents.

Back
Top Bottom