Missing a Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimmingfriends

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased 2 female Gold Twinbar Platys last week.

Today, when I came home from work, I found that one of them is missing. They were the only two fish in the tank with no other creatures in there.

How could one just disappear? I have looked in all of the decor, filter, gravel, etc. There's not even a hint of her in there.

Weird. :ermm:

Any thoughts on what happened??

Check around the floor near the tank first. Then, and i know you will think i am crazy but check the filter. i had a platy once that swam in the current of the filter and would jump into the filter.
Then recheck every peice of decor, under around and everything else.

Thanks. :)

I have checked all around, under, under everything, in the filter & she's nowhere to be found. Thank you, though!

So weird. i am sorry for your lose. i find it so strange and hard to beleive that one platy killed and ate another platy in the time that you left for work and the time u got back.

Me too! I didn't think it was common for them to be very aggressive. I didn't even know it's something possible--for one to eat another (??) The other weird thing is that even if the other one ate the one that's missing, it seems like there would be SOME kind of sign of it--like this one looking more "puffy" or not being hungry for her food, which she did eat when I fed her. It's so strange!

It is so very strange when fish go missing without a trace. although one time one of my hatchet fish went missing and one day when vaccuming my floors i found it under a rug in another room.
Fish can be mistyrious some times.

Yes, check other rooms for sure. Do you by chance have any other pets?

Are you sure you bought 2? Lol just kidding! Hopefully it'll turn up for you

I hate when this happens. If you have plants, look in the foliage. I found a cory that had died a few days before I found it in the plant.

If you have any decor at all, look under it and in it. It's amazing where a body will end up.

:ROFLMAO:
Funny. haha.

Well, here's the good news--when I woke up in the morning, there were 2 Platys swimming in the tank like nothing ever happened. I cannot understand what happened!! What a mystery. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom