mixing and matching!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BakerBoy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I have a lot of different questions.
1.) Could I put a rainbow shark in with a school (6) of tiger barbs? (32 gallon tank)
2.) Can I have two angels in with my four gourmis? (75 gallon tank)
3.) What are the best school fish to look at? (Most colorful)
Ill just start out with these for now

Ok I have a lot of different questions.
1.) Could I put a rainbow shark in with a school (6) of tiger barbs? (32 gallon tank)
2.) Can I have two angels in with my four gourmis? (75 gallon tank)
3.) What are the best school fish to look at? (Most colorful)
Ill just start out with these for now

1. The tiger barbs are fine but the rainbow is not, they'll need a fifty five tank minimum because the rainbow gets big and likes lots of space to swim. If you had a bigger tank then it shouldn't be a problem!
2. Yes and no. It depends on the gouramis and the angels. I like to say these fish have Multipal Personality Disorder because when it comes to behavior that isn't related to breeding it is kind of a crapshot. Sometimes they are super shy, other times they are really aggresssive.
3. That's personal preference, but if you want something really colorful a school of mixed rainbows of all colors (if you had a big tank, keep in mind they are very active) it would look really pretty! :)

Just my two cents.

You always have answers! Or so would the gourmis and a rainbow work together? And if it is just one can I have an angel in the 32 gallon with some tetras or something? (Big enough not to fit into its mouth) and I thought rainbow sharks only got 6"? Am I wrong or am I right but they need a lot of room to swim?

You always have answers! Or so would the gourmis and a rainbow work together? And if it is just one can I have an angel in the 32 gallon with some tetras or something? (Big enough not to fit into its mouth) and I thought rainbow sharks only got 6"? Am I wrong or am I right but they need a lot of room to swim?

Haha yes guess so, my answers aren't always correct though :)

Yes gouramis and rainbows (or rainbow shark, whichever you meant) should work together, they'll get along. Yes you can have the angel with the tetras in there, I wholeheartedly recommend it. Yes you are right about the growth, they just need to have lots of room (active they are!).

They might not always be correct but when I've seen them they are! Haha :)

And ok I'm my 75 I have four gourmis. (Two gold two blue) I'm gonna add a rainbow shark and probably my tiger barbs. I heard the barbs are good with gourmis as well. And in my 32 gallon ill have an angel and what kind of tetras? Also in my 75 could I have a school of corys?

I can not comment on 1, have never had sharks except for balas and they are sweethearts.
2) male gouramis are much more territorial than females in my experience. One blue gourami has picked on every angel in my tank if there was a female or other male. Took him out and everyone is happier. I really think if they grow up together, they get along better.
3) discus are schooling fish if you want to venture down that path. Otherwise, you can't beat 30 neons running across the tank under a 10,000k light( assuming you aren't trying to grow plants).

I would do discus but I would want a lot bigger of a tank. And a lot more money. And I'm not growing plants in my 32 gallon.... yet. But ill look more into it! Thank you.

They might not always be correct but when I've seen them they are! Haha :)

And ok I'm my 75 I have four gourmis. (Two gold two blue) I'm gonna add a rainbow shark and probably my tiger barbs. I heard the barbs are good with gourmis as well. And in my 32 gallon ill have an angel and what kind of tetras? Also in my 75 could I have a school of corys?

I would bump the school of tiger barbs, they are notorious fin nippers and will easily live up to that reputation, the more you have the more focused they will be on themselves and not the gouramis fins. ;) Yes you can add a school of cories to your seventy five gallon, I don't see why not.

I would do discus but I would want a lot bigger of a tank. And a lot more money. And I'm not growing plants in my 32 gallon.... yet. But ill look more into it! Thank you.

75 gallons is pretty big...I think you can have a school of five to six discus in there!

Ok so how many tiger barbs then? 10? Or more? Cause I have six now. So four gourmis, a rainbow shark, 10 tiger barbs, and 6 corys?

seekinghealth said:
Ok so how many tiger barbs then? 10? Or more? Cause I have six now. So four gourmis, a rainbow shark, 10 tiger barbs, and 6 corys?

Yep that should be fine. Seems like you have a good tank so far! :)

Thank you! And in my 32G you said I could have an angel right? But I'm kind of thinking about some tetras but I'm no sure what kind. Any thoughts? That won't fit into the angels mouth?

What type of gouramis? I must have missed it somewhere. I do not like mixing barbs and gouramis, those feelers are tempting targets.

Two gold and two blue. The barbs are still young so maybe they will get used to it?

seekinghealth said:
Two gold and two blue. The barbs are still young so maybe they will get used to it?

Depends. If it was a school of twenty, probably not because there are so many of them, they'd get distracted by each other. The bigger the school the better.

seekinghealth said:
Thank you! And in my 32G you said I could have an angel right? But I'm kind of thinking about some tetras but I'm no sure what kind. Any thoughts? That won't fit into the angels mouth?

Yes one angel is fine. Rummynoses and cardinals, or any of the Herrigrammus species, there all deep bodied.

Back
Top Bottom