mixing comets/new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmaglich

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
This is my first time posting here, and was impressed by you all's extensive knowledge, and hope you can help me. I just recently started a 30 gallon aquarium, and added 2 comets (which I was told were hearty fish) 2 angels and a gourami. One of the first problems Ive had was cloudiness, which I was told should disappear as the tank fully cycles, and with periodic water changes. Second, I am wondering whether I should get rid of the comets. They are, in lesser words, food hogs, and seem to intimidate the other fish because of their size. I have heard not to have them in tanks smaller than 50 or 80 gallons after previous research as well. I was also wondering what to add. I had in mind: 3-4 danio, 1-2 more angels, 2-3 more gouramis and possibly a pleco or a cat. Thanks in advance for you all your advice!

Comets and tropical fish are a bad mix. You should either go with the goldfish or the tropicals. Two angels in a thirty gallon is perfect. The do get fairly large and territorial.

A school of danios would be fine as well as a small pleco or a school of cories. I would only recommend one gourami if you want one. 2 angels, a gourami, 6-8 danios and a small type pleco or 3-5 cories would be a nice tank full.

Thanks Rich, I was beginning to realize the same thing after doing some research. Any tips on "disposing" of them? Should I just try to take them back to the store and exchange for more tropicals? Or just release them in a lake. I'd like to try and get some credit out of them, though. I'd love anyone else's input as well, I am just getting started with freshwater tanks. Thanks!

Do not release the fish in the wild, it is illegal and dangerous to the local ecosystem. Take them back to the store, you may get a credit, even if you don't, at least the fish will be ok and waiting for someone else to take them home.

Yeah, never release any store bought fish, plant, snail, etc into the wild. That is very very bad.

Ya I get that I cant release them in the wild, Dont worry, Ill just take them back. A question about my angels though, they seem to chill in the bottom quadrant of the tank, and come up usually only for food. Is that normal? Or is it just intimidation by the two comets? Also, I do not have a heater, and really am not planning on getting one. I have a thermometer, and I keep room temp at about 75 degrees. Any advice anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are going to stick with tropical fish, get a heater. If the angels are eating and active they are probably ok.

yep, you had better get a heater. Those angels will not last long with any temperature fluxuations. Might i recommmend adding some hiding spots, those angels may just be a little nervous and some hiding spots(driftwood, caves, clay pots, plants) would really help the adjust.

Back
Top Bottom