Mixing different species of corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gtm1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, is it ok to mix different types of corydoras, and to just have one of each type.

For example one Panda, one Julii, one Sterbai, one Venezuelan, one Peppered, one Albino etc.

You can. Mix cories up, you jus have to get 3 to 6 of each species.you can get One of each but they won't be happy
When I had coreis I had 6 different species an 6 of each species. Lots of amusement with Cory's

Really should just stick them.with their own kind. They feel far more comfortable that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm no expert though, they seemed happy

I was referring to the op wanting one of each. 6 of each is fine I'd think. I keep mixed shoal of elegans and green laser, they all hang and swim together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

they much prefer their own species to any other kind.
from my own research they can "school" with others but it is more of a forced thing. not a natural reaction or preferred reaction.
You are much better off getting six of one kind. the more of one kind you get the better more natural behavior you will see and more enjoyable to you they will be. They'll be happier and you will be happier.
I think one loophole you could use is to possibly get an albino variety of the same species. you will get two different cories of the same species. however be warned albinos can be more sensitive and less healthy. many have poor eyesight so they won't be able to school as well as the normal ones because they won't be able to sense them. this is from personal experience where my albino schools with my other aneus corys by accident

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Gives me food for thought anyway before I buy my new tank

I had a trio of c. metae spawning out of control in a 17 gallon tank. Fast forward 4 years later, and I have about 50 of them in my 150 gallon tank along with 6 c. adolfoi. The different species definitely like to school among themselves.

Back
Top Bottom