Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mixing different species of tetras

Right now I have 7 neon tetras in my 75gtank and I want to add another species of tetra (emperor, black phantom, rummy-nose, etc…). Would there be any fighting between the two different species or can they live together peacefully? Has anyone had any experience with having two different kinds of tetras in their tanks?

Old 03-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have Pristella Tetras and Blackskirts and they get along just great...sometimes they even hang out together.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many species of tetras will inter-school. All of the species you mention would be great tank mates. I'm partial to black neons and pristellas as well.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodiMartin2003
I have Pristella Tetras and Blackskirts and they get along just great...sometimes they even hang out together.
Thanks for the reply!

I was just a little worried that there might be some fin nipping or chasing between the two different kinds of tetras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNY
Many species of tetras will inter-school. All of the species you mention would be great tank mates. I'm partial to black neons and pristellas as well.
Awesome! Glad to hear!
Old 03-31-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have glolights and lemon tetras and they get along pretty well. My lemons get a bit nippy when they are being fed and with eachother from time to time, but they are still nice fish and no one has battle wounds.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to SeymourFRESH
how about rummy nose, cardinals, and bleeding hearts do? i'm assuming fine, but while we're on the subject i may as well ask
Old 03-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

IME i've found they only fight or nip between them selves (the group/speiceis.) I have about 15 black widows and 10 cardinals and they get along great, with a huge variety of other fish too. I.E discus, ghost knife(untill he gets bigger), Plecos, Platy's thers even a 3' pictus cat.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mrspughster Send a message via Yahoo to mrspughster
I have 3 types in my tank now. They seem to get along with the others. Even my clown loach hangs out with them.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The worst tetras for nipping fins are congos by far. Emperors go real well with neons/cardinals IMO. I light the contrast between the red/blue & purple/black stripes.

Tags
mixing, spec, species, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com