Mixing female dwarf gourami...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan to add three ladies for my male DG. Could I get three different types?

Such as any mix of three of the following:

Regular
Cobalt Blue
Neon Blue
Fire Red

Also, has anyone kept three males and five females in a single tank?

*Edit: Also, how well do different types of males mix?

:thanks:

Female dwarf gouramis are silver with very light blue and maybe red patterns, you should stay with that kind, you will be fine with one male and many females, how big is your tank ?

65g. Apparently they come in the patterns listed (obviously not as colorful as the males). I'm most curious about the behaviors of the varying colors together.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From what im reading on the internet, the females all stay bland and close to grey regardless of the variation in the dwarf gouramis color genes.. Please post if you have other info.. I'm not not believing you, I'm just curious because I myself have 2 females 1 male and I would add a few coloured one.. Also I'm not 100% sure as I have had only DGs, but I believe it's better to keep them in the same type, but since it's not a different species and only a slight colour variation it could be ok.. Maybe google could help you out :)

Also in a 65g you have a lot of place to disperse the aggressivity.. Just keep it planted or caved (hiding places) and you will be fine :)

I thought the same until I saw this site: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/gouramis/gouramis.htm#top2

The females are definitely duller, but it would seem genetics allows for all the same variations in color that there are males. I wanted a pair of angels, but I think I may go for a mixed DG group. I Googled, but didn't come up with anything useful - just the appropriate sex mixing. Was hoping someone might have had personal experience.

I'll probably give it a go - just need the funds to afford their shipping costs!

I thought the same until I saw this site: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/gouramis/gouramis.htm#top2

The females are definitely duller, but it would seem genetics allows for all the same variations in color that there are males. I wanted a pair of angels, but I think I may go for a mixed DG group. I Googled, but didn't come up with anything useful - just the appropriate sex mixing. Was hoping someone might have had personal experience.

I'll probably give it a go - just need the funds to afford their shipping costs!

Wow! What a beauty! Good luck with the trial period :)

They are all the same species. You should be able to mix them just fine.

Sweet. Will check back after I order tomorrow and probably receive on Tuesday!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That shipping is kinda outrageous. These fish would do just fine, given proper bagging, with a 2-3 day shipping method. If I had these fish to send you (LOL, I don't), I could do it for less than half that cost.

That said, I can see why they just do all overnight shipping. It's easier on them.

Oh, and due to Memorial Day, you probably won't be receiving them Tuesday. LOL!

They shipped them yesterday, and they got here this morning before 10am. Wow. All specimens were in tip top shape, minus the typical disorientation from being caught, tossed in a bag, and flown over four States. The female blued are just as vibrant as the males. No defined stripes, tho. The regular females are a pale yellow with little to no stripes. Nothing special, but I think they're still young. The blue male and the red male are both crazy colorful. They're still establishing territories between the three of them. The five females kind of just do whatever they want. Occasionally a male will cop a feel, but then goes about its business. The companions have certainly livened up my original DG. More confident in approaching the glass as a unit. They have a weird shoaling dynamic. Oh, and the best part, these guys are red brush algae eating monsters! The four rams I got a couple weeks prior are also algae slurpers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom