Mixing Gourami species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
questions:
do gouramis only fight with their own species ??
or do they fight with any gourami (regardless of species).

eg. do pearl gouramis fight with kissing gouramis
do dwarf gouramis fight with moonlight
etc...

Also, is it better to get 3 of the same species of gourami ??
or is it better to get 3 different species ??

also is my gourami male or female

img_510392_0_9f7c980d8fb076a2780e9b9b69f37232.jpg

img_510392_1_1f50c68c5fc376ca78603cb762a0b309.jpg

img_510392_2_0de8f79b05ed1765292a1cafe73bf404.jpg

img_510392_3_bc0bdd7dbc1e6345c61e4d872958741c.jpg

that is a male gourami, you'll know if you have a female because they lack the coloration of males, females are mostly silver? senior members correct me if i'm wrong.. as for your other question, im not too sure. i was wondering the same myself.. :p

Yes, you have a guy. The females are usually duller in color (more brown or silver) than the males. Also the dorsal fin on the male is more pointed, while the female's is more rounded.

I have had different types of dwarf gouramis together in the same tank (e.g., flame and powder blue), and they always sparred and showed some aggression and territorial behavior. Now I have a single dwarf flame gourami and a gold (not dwarf) gourami in the same tank, and I don't see much interaction between them at all. I don't know if that is typical.

fearlessfisch said:
I have had different types of dwarf gouramis together in the same tank (e.g., flame and powder blue), and they always sparred and showed some aggression and territorial behavior. Now I have a single dwarf flame gourami and a gold (not dwarf) gourami in the same tank, and I don't see much interaction between them at all. I don't know if that is typical.

Yes...there will be far less agression between the non-conspecifics...those dwarf gouramis (flame, powder/cobalt blue, neon blue, dwarf) are all different colour variations of the same species, Colisa lalia.

It really comes down to your male/female ratios. Male gouramis just don't get along (same species anyways). You got to have some females in the mix, 2:1 at least.

A lot of it depends on the personality of each fish too. Sometimes you just never know, that's why it helps to have a "Plan B" like another tank to move one to or a LFS that will take it back.

My gold and opaline males chase my banded gouramis more often than each other. I think it depends on the fish themselves, how many fish there are, the species, and male/female ratio.
If you want to get multiple gouramis, try getting only 1 male and the rest females. Also, have lots of hiding spots and plants (fake and/or real). It might work out but it might not, just depends. :?

Back
Top Bottom