Mixing Mollie 'colors'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffreyL

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all. Long time lurker, first time to post. Love all the fascinating discussions. :) I am planning to set up a 30 gal cube tank for mollies. My question concerns mixing different colors. Last time I kept mollies, and it has been a while; the different color varieties really did not mix much. One poor platinum female I put in seemed lonely. None of the black or creamsicle mollies would let her play with them. Any one else observe this, or did I once again select eccentric fish?? If they do tend to segregate themselves, it will affect how I stock the tank to keep the male/female ratio in balance. Thanks for any comments or advice.

well, when i had mollies, i had like 3 dif. color varieties with no problems...but mollies are somewhat aggressive i think. try to make sure that you only have 1 male for every 3 or so females too

Welcome to AA!

I have different colored mollies together and they can co-exsist. As with any fish you have to watch behaviour as each fish is different.
Mollies will cross breed btw. You do need at least 3 females to each male or the male will harrass them endlessly. What I would do is get 1 male and 3 females of each color variation, if they separate themselves you will still have an interesting mix.

I had black, orange, and dalmation mollies at the same time. All I have left are three black females and the dalmation male. The dalmation male beat up on all the other orange ones but left the black and dalmations alone. Now all I have are three black females and the dalmation male. Everyone is very happy......for now.

Back
Top Bottom