Mixing Mystery Snails with Cherry Shrimp? Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrhelton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to use to breed cherry shrimp. It has a ton of plants in it + offwhite PFS substrate. It also has 3 mystery snails that I don't want to remove (I suppose if I had to I could remove them from the 10 gallon and put them in my 29 gallon tropical community tank)

Anyway, right now the 10 gallon has a betta with the 3 snails. He doesn't seem to notice the snails at all. I assume he will kill cherry shrimp, right? If not I will gladly keep him, but if he will, I'll be giving him to a friend who just finished cycling a 15 gallon tank.

TL;DR version
1) Can I breed red cherry shrimp with a lazy betta without fear of him killing them?
if not
2) Is it safe to keep cherry shrimp with 3 mystery snails?

1) some Bettas devour cherries; others only eat the babies; others completely ignore them. Test your Betta with some cheap shrimp (ghost or Amano) and see if he eats them. If he doesn't but you don't want to keep the ghost/Amano's just toss them in your 29 and they'll probably get eaten anyway.

2) mystery snails should be absolutely fine. They're practically like an ornament when it comes to compatibility lol. :)

I just did a google search for this and this topic already showed up in the results. I read your post, then came back to check this topic without realizing it was the same topic I found in the search. Needless to say, I was really confused.

Thanks for the answer. I like the idea of trying it with a couple of cheap shrimp. My LFS only has cherry shrimp, but they only charge like a dollar, so I don't mind picking up 5 or so and seeing what happens.

I wouldn't try to breed any shrimp in a tank with fish, unless they are something like plecos or otos. Fish may not outright eat the shrimp, but a fish that doesn't eat a little shrimplet that crosses its path would be going against it's nature.

Back
Top Bottom