Mixing plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markusroberts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have two bristle nose plecos ones fully grown the other one still a juvenile, my friends common plecos have had babies and have offered one to me for some guppies when their at age, I was just wondering if I could mix the two types of plecos, at the moment I have a 55g and plan to get a 100 gallon in a few years would they be happy with each other?

That's not a good mix. The BNs will be dwarved by the common plecos in a matter of a few years. When mixin plecos, you generally want them to be in the same size range.

My friend has one of each as she bought them at the same time out of the same tank and was told they were both the same ! One is now 30cm and the other 10cm, both in the same tank and get on quite happily together, plus the bn fits inside the tank ornaments so it can easily get out of the way if it wants,. That being said I would stick to one type , just my opinion ;)

I've mixed pleco's many times and if the tank is large enough with DW and other places that each can have their own spaces it can work. The problem can arise if you get two males. Males pleco's of all species can get very territorial with other pleco's but also with other fish during eating. When I have multiple's in a tank I be sure to add food in different places which can also aid in food aggression issues. You just need to monitor them especially as they mature.

Back
Top Bottom