Modded Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iman74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are you thoughts/take on this?

The latest store I am going to has a lot of interesting fish; the ones that really catch my eye turns out to be modded fish. For instance there are these fish where they have neon colors on the top and bottom of them (not Neon Tetras). Turns out I learned that they are injected with this neon ink that makes that neon effect and it usually lasts up to 6 months. Then there were other unusual colored fish that too were modded by color modifications. But the ones that really blew my mine were fish that were tattooed: yes tattoos. Turns out some guy in Hong Kong figured out a way to laser tattoo fish with just about anything you request. Some fish had a big heart, the word you, another with the letter “I”, there were ones with designs. The quality was bad for it looked like it was done via marker or crayon by an elementary kid, but still amazing. Personally I would much rather take a fish for what nature made him/her to be, not modded. But like I said, I just learned of this, and would like others take on it.

I saw this in a store as well, owned by an Asian couple, so I think the tattooing process is something that came from Asia. I think it's horrible. I wouldn't want one. Cross breeding is one thing, but this is so far removed from natural. In other news, the other fish in the store are kept well. I'm happy if it's not hurting the fish, but I still don't like the idea.

Idon't have anything to say other than that it is ridiculous. With all the color and variation out there is this really necessary. It just confirms what I've always said. Individually people are ok but as a group we are idiots.

The methods used to artificially color or tattoo fish are considered painful and harmful to the fish' health. Indeed, most dyed fish are killed during the stressful procedure. Dyed fish don't live as long, and as you noted, the colors tend to fade after a few months anyway.

Most people on this forum don't condone the practice and wish these fish were not sold. For more info, check out: http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

I would also like to point out the differences between dyed fish and Glofish red fluorescent danios which you might have seen. Glofish are genetically engineered as embryos to produce a fluorescent jellyfish protein. The process is painless and need only be done once since the fluorescent protein gene is passed down to offspring. Aquarium purists may frown upon Glofish, but unlike dyed fish, their creation is neither cruel nor unhealthy to the fish.

This is a controversial topic to say the least. Personally I am completely against any tattooing or dyeing of fish of any kind.

many fish dont survive the process, and those that do, end up dying prematurely, a lot sooner than a fish would normally

Recommended link:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/campaign_details.php

I think the practice of dyeing and tattoing fish is disgraceful: would you tattoo a pet cat or dog if it "wasnt the perfect colour you wanted"? No. Fish are animals, and pets, too. They deserve to be treated as such.
The only reason why these practices have arisen, and continue, is because demand is there, which just goes to show how the majority of people are more interested in their own selfish wants than in the wellbeing and welfare of other living creatures.
I agree with flushingfish on that one.

Bleh. To me, painted fish are ugly. The fish's natural colors are so much more pleasing and attractive.

I would'nt buy from that store till the owner returns those fish and refuses to sell them. One LFS in Houston has bloodparrots with the tails cut off so they look like swimming hearts it is so sad I refuse to shop there anymore.

I can't stand the practice but there's not much we can do. There will always be a demand for them. Fish are not on the same level as cats or dogs to a large majority of the population. To them they are "just fish". To us they are as much of a pet as our cats and dogs.

I am from a smaller community and one local store started to sell these. when a large group of us approached the store owner, and told him that we were no longer going to shop in his store because of this practice, he discontinued selling them.

ahhh crap, I just bought some neon type fish that above the eye and tail glows flourescent, I didn't even think about that, I'm highly agianst torturing animals like that, its crap IMO, now I feel horrible for even buying the little guys, actually its prolly better they came to my house then some one who wouldn't take care of them or something

tropicfishman, there are plenty of fish that glow fluorescent naturally - it sounds like you have head and tail light tetras or something.

Back
Top Bottom