Mold Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I have a 'bit' of a mold problem I'd like some advice on.

The tank in question is 120L (30G) and only has three small plants and is lit by a 11W.

The tank parameters are;

25 degrees
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60
PH 7.0

There is three types of mold, brown mold that grows on the walls (Which is easily removed), small black tufts of hair like mold that grow on the walls (Which take a lot of scrubbing to remove) and a strange black mold covering the decorations in the tank.

Now a lot of my problems will be as a result of the low light and high nitrates, something I have to deal with.

However I'm a bit confused as to what the black molds are an how to deal with them, especially the mold of the ornaments (Pictures attached, the last photo has a picture of the black tufts).

If anyone has any advice on how to deal with the mold issues (Cleaning the ornaments and preventing future outbreaks) I'd be greatly appreciative :)

eim7ae.jpg

rsa0ld.jpg

e0o1ht.jpg

Cheers in advance (y)

The brown on the walls is called diatoms. An algea that will eventually burn itself out, but scrubbing it off the walls helps make the tank look clean. As for the other types they are more than likely from the low light and the nitrates that are currently in the tank. The dark tufty one is BBA and is very diffivult to remove. I would just take the peices of decor that have been affected and clean them and do 50% water changes untill the nitrates have come down.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom