Mollie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ld123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anybody help?

Is it common for silver mollies to be aggressive? Males.

He is nipping my platies as well. Female platies

What is your male/female ratio?
Usually is recommended 1 male and 3 females

Yes it is 1 male to 3 females. But he is picking on all fish!

Ld123 said:
Yes it is 1 male to 3 females. But he is picking on all fish!

I have one male and one female. While that is not the recommended, I can't do anything else. I have tried introducing others in with them and the female kills any other Molly. It is not typical for Molly to pair up but mine has. I've tried putting new fish in first, they still go after them. I have changed deco around, introduced new fish with just the male, I have tried everything! But the female just goes after them. Burst she is fine with other species. Sometimes that is just the temperament of the individual fish.

My male Mollie has killed one of my female platies

sadly some times there are just bad eggs it dosnt happen often but sounds like u got one, i have only known males to be agressive when trying to pork the ladys and they dont want a bar of it.try isolating him for a day or 2 in a breeders box and see if that calms him down any. if u can block his view of other fish it helps

I have put the Molly in a breeding net and the other fish seem so much happier. Feeding better etc

I had a funny molly that I just rehomed. She ate all my plants! Amazon sword, Java Fern, moneywort and don't even ask me about my java moss. She was a nut, My hubby picked her. I traded in her and another female. We now have Mr. Orange, a beautiful Red wag Platy. he has an orange body and all black fins. My hubby is feeling the aquarist bite. I called him from work and Mr. orange was looking at him and swimming towards him. So he gave him a little food, I had to smile.

Back
Top Bottom