Mollies picking driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had a large branch of driftwood for many years and decided to add it to my 55g so after soaking it in a bathtub for a couple of days I added it. It was large enough that it reaches from end to end of my 55 and looks really nice but for some reason my mollies keep picking at it. There shouldn't be any bugs or anything in it as its been indoors for almost 10 years now. Anyone know why they do this?

Keep calm and rock on

Perhaps but it's odd I've never seen them do this with any of the other wood just this one really big one. They don't even do it to the other one I added the same day

Keep calm and rock on

I have a bunch of fish in my 55g with a large piece of DW. None of the fish bug it except for the juvie male guppy. He was added with a group of adult females about a month & a half ago while still very little and has always “picked” at the DW. I have no idea why he does it... The females, as well as all the tetras and the ram leave it alone. My farlowella and BN pleco gnaw on it, but that's why it's there lol. He seems healthy and normal otherwise, so I guess maybe he just likes it? It has been there awhile and has some algae on it so I guess mine may be eating algae or something, but not sure.

I suspect in my tank the fish are just to busy re-arranging, running over and uprooting the plants. As well as just plain eating them. They're just too flat out to check out the driftwood placed for their benefit.

Sometimes when you add wood to your tank you get growth on it that many fish enjoy eating. Mollies seem to be a fish that particularly like to do this. I'm thinking there is just some growth you can't see that they are munching on.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom