Mollies...please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lauralou84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have 2 black mollies, and 4 spotted ones, (I also have 2 angels and a bottom feeder) my mollies have started hanging out around the heater, I wondered if it was something to do with the water, so I used my gravel cleaner and took out 20% water (3ft tank) but they are still doing it, 3 females are pregnant, one in a breeding trap, my temp is at 82

Mollies do not need that high of a temp. Not sure about angelfish though. They can live in that high of a temp but their life cycle will be shorter and they will speed up breeding. Pregnant mollies seem to like the heater in my tank. Every one that gets close to their due date seems to hang out there. I keep my tanks at 78 degrees. Maybe pregnant fish just have a hard time keeping warm? As long as the other water perimeters are fine and the fish are fine I wouldn't worry.

Yeah the water perimeters are fine, although this started happening yesterday, and I cleaned the tank out today, about a 20% water change and then I used water conditioner too

You are at the high end of ok for mollies at 82 degrees, not at all sure of the previous posters claims that their life span will be reduced at 82 degrees ! Angel fish are ok in the mid 70s to mid 80s range. I would reduce your heater setting so that your thermometer shows 78 though, that way you have some leeway if your thermometer is not 100% accurate

I did look online for what temperature is best, and spoke to friends who keep mollies, and they both said to set it to that temp. My heater is located at the back left corner, and my thermometer is in the front left of the glass. I'm pretty sure it won't reduce their life span, but I was told the higher the temp, the quicker the births, I've had one that's been pregnant for 6 weeks now and she's pretty big, so I put her in the birthing box. But still no sign :/

If I were you, I would decrease the temp, just slightly. Just like 1 or 2 degrees. They would be MUCH more comfortable. I know that it might make birthing quicker, but that's not the case for all mollies.

I was going by an article I read when I said the higher temp lowers life expectancy. If I can find it again I will post the link. Most amphibians follow that rule. That is why breeding speeds up. faster metabolism equals shorter life cycle. Mollies seem to be more comfortable at around 78 degrees from my research. I know when I kept my tanks at a higher temp it seemed like the mollies were more irritable. I have been keeping mine around 78 degrees for almost a year and my mollies seem to have done better. I had trouble with fungus infections in my first molly tank. I kept the temperature high. When I lowered the temp, fungus problems went away. All of my mollies but one female are ones that I have raised myself from the two originals I started with. I added a new female to introduce new genes. I haven't lost one from any disease since those first two. Good thing my local pet store takes all the babies.

It's just like everybody else is saying when I've kept guppies I've never kept them higher than 80 degrees

Molly females always look pregnant. In that the fry slowly develop inside them. They can look like they're ready to pop but not nearly be ready. Mollys are wonderful fish to keep but need slightly different water conditions from your other fish. 80F is the temp breeders keep them at for force breeding & more profit. Not so much the quality of life for the adults. 77-78F is a healthier temperature. Also they are a species that evolved in brackish conditions. It's debated in here, but the taxonomy research on them will prove my statement that they do MUCH better with a little salt added to the water. The best level is about 1 tsp per 5 gal. However, you have some salt intolerant species in the tanks also. So you have a choice. Brackish Molly only tank or no salt no Mollys OR do a compromise that I have done with success. Keep just a little bit of salt in the tank but not enough to bother the no salt fish. I use 1 tsp aquarium salt per 40 liters. The mollys do much better and the other fish are not harmed at that small level. OS.

That's what pregnant mollies do.... All live barriers do actually. ^

That's a good question..... I'm an expert in guppies, not so much mollies... Sorry!

Have you actually checked the parameters of your tank? 20% is not a very big water change. I suggest doing a larger pwc or at least having your water parameters checked. I do also agree that your temp is a tad on the high side. You could try lowering it and seeing if there is a change. About 78 is the "standard" tropical fw temperature, with only a few species preferring it higher like rams for example.
And yes, even if they were too hot, they might still hang out by the heater. they have the instinct to hide when they don't feel right. In a tank, that often means hanging out by the heater or the filter intake. I get fish that hide there when they are being picked on by other fish.
Another suggestion is to add more décor to the tank like plants (even fake ones) to make the fish more comfortable. But, I would look into that more if the other options don't help. I think a pwc or parameter check is the best place to start though.

Back
Top Bottom