Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bouncer36

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. Is it normal for a molly to change colors? She was this color image-2020-08-23-14:23:06-603.jpg
Now she this color

Now she this color
Ok what this is weird I got pic. Of the color change but it won’t let me post it on here so I thought I will just snap another pic and when I did the fish had all her colors back. Lol my son said I was seeing things lol

Haha! Sometimes fish will change colors a little during mating, stress, water parameter changes, etc. Im not familiar with Molly's, but others do this

A few min earlier she had all her colors back. My son still says I’m seeing things. In the pic that won’t post she was almost all white with her black spots

Well, your platy may be stressed. Does it have other platys to be with? She looks kinda stressed.

It definitely is a platy. I have a platy that looks similar. They can definitely get confused sometimes. How is she now?

Color comes and goes. Guess I need to get more plates then I only have that one

Definitely. She probably is stressed. She will be fine after you get her some friends :) but beware, they breed like crazy.

Platys tend to have shorter rounder bodies. A Molly is a longer sleeker fish. I find Mollies also have more of an upturned mouth. Both are Livebearers but they cannot crossbreed with each other.- from myaquariumclub.com

It's cool. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I just found out what type of platy is was and I thought it would be some helpful information for OP :)

Now I worried about overstocking my tank if I get more Hoe many do you think I need?

I have now
2 albino bristlenose pleco
2 nertite snails
5 mollies
1 platy
5 black neon tetras
3 neon tetras
5 Harlem raspberry (misnamed)
1 male betta

55 gallon tank

Your pretty close. Prob 3 more (I dunno how they school or shoal) would not be too much. Just remember that the more fish you have the better your filtration and bio removal needs to be. Just be diligent with your water changes and monitor your water parameters.

Angelfish owner may have a better idea about how many should be together, like I said, I don't own any live bearers, I have trouble keeping them alive, lol

Back
Top Bottom