Molly fry weird eye.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer243

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I have a balloon molly that birthed fry, only 6 of which I could save. They are 2 weeks old now and eat like crazy and seem to be very active.

I did notice something very weird in 2 of the fry.
I noticed the fry have one eye a bit larger than the other, and it's almost completely black. The other fries have a black center and a white rim around which I would say is what's normal.

I've researched popeye and from what I've read, popeye causes the eye to turn white, not black.

So, I'm not sure what it is, and what to do!!

Please help, I'm trying to see these fish to adulthood and would be devastated if I lost them.

Thanks again.

Do the eyes bulge at all? Any chance you can get a picture? I know fry are hard to photograph due to their size. I doubt that it's pop-eye, to me it sounds like it might be a genetic difference. Are you certain the eye is actually bigger, or does it just look bigger because it lacks the rim? Some fish just have dark irises. If the eye isn't bulging or clouded, I wouldn't worry about it. Do they act like they can see normally?

absolutangel04:

They don't seem to be bulging when I look at them head-on, the eyes look to be the same size. They act like the other fry, but they are a bit smaller than all the others. I took some photos and will attach the best ones. One of the black eye and one of the normal one. Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• image-3758894162.jpg
    image-3758894162.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2815570095.jpg
    image-2815570095.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 106
Looking at the pictures, I wouldn't worry about it. Since they are acting normal, I really do think it's just genetics. They are cute little guys. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom