Molly gave birth and is now spinning in circles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just had a bunch of khuli loaches die and now my molly is spinning in circles and twirling around. She just started it a few hours ago. She kept hitting the glass and rubbing against the filter intake. I moved her to QT tank and she is getting worse by the minute. She gave birth two days ago for the second time in about 2 1/2 months from retained sperm. I haven't found any of the fry yet. I definitely saw her drop several before leaving her alone to do her thing. Here is a link to the post on my loaches. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/loach-may-have-ich-257219.html

I have one more adult molly and two half grown fry. Will I loose them too? From her symptons it looks like whirling disease. Anything I can do to keep my other fish okay? They all seem fine. Swimming and eating normally but she was this morning too.

Im pretty new to this, so I dont have the answer youre looking for, but I thought I might suggest posting in the Unhealthy Fish section if you havent already. Might be that people who do have the answers are browsing that area.

Good luck

I checked her sides and she does have a sort of discolored place almost in the middle of her body. Like she has scraped it. My other adult molly has been bullying her. The other molly chased her so much that she kept hiding behind the plants and rocks. It would head butt her every time she came out of hiding. Do you think it might have burst her swim bladder. She is nose down and spinning right now. She tries to swim but it is like her front is two heavy.

My two smaller mollies are bullying each other too. They have lots of vegetation and caves to hide in. The largest molly also tried to eat the loaches when I added them. I wonder if she didn't bully them to death. They were fine before being put into the main tank.

Should I euthanize the sick molly or will she recover? I put her in my 10 gallon tank with no decorations or anything she could bump into. I added a couple of tablespoons of canning salt. Anything else I could do?

I am gonna bet money on the swim bladder then. It can be caused by stress, so constantly being chased and possibly the birth could have done it. Not confident it can recover from that, but I am not an expert by any means.

I have had both the swim bladder and whirling disease. With whirling disease the fish literally is like a little tasmanian devil in your tank and just constantly spins.

With the discoloration and the fact it is trying to swim properly I would say it is the bladder.

This morning she is floating to the top of the tank. She tries to swim to the bottom but floats back up onto her side. I am going to go ahead and pick up some clove oil and euthanize her this evening if there is no improvement. I hate to loose her but I don't want her to suffer if she isn't going to improve.

Back
Top Bottom