Molly troubles.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuantumCranker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added six black sailfin mollies to my planted tank for algae/protein film control. When I got them home, I emptied the bag into a large bowl. I checked the PH of the water they were in and it was 6.8. My tank is at about 6.0. I added a little tank water to the bowl every thirty minutes, checking the PH all along. I also added an airstone to the water while I was doing this. Once the PH was at about 6.2, I let them remain in that for about 30 min. I then placed them in my tank. After about 4 hours or so in the tank I am begining to notice some slight fin clamping, wobbling, and staying at the surface with a strong tail-down angle. The scariest thing is that their tail fins, which were perfect in the beginning, almost look like the last 16th of an inch or so is beginning to dissolve for lack of a better word. What could be causing this? Are these guys gonners or is it just the stress of the move?

The tank is a 55 gallon heavily planted with CO2
ammonia is ZIP
nitrItes are ZIP
nitrates around 15ppm
Phosphate 1.5
The KH is about 1 degree

Thanks
Randy

I notice you didn't mention temperature. If you sat the bowl out for a while, it may have cooled down significantly, thus shocking them when they went into the tank. A pH jump of .6 is not good...but mollies are hardy too. I would think they'd be able to overcome that.

What is your tank temperature?

Ragged fins is a stress issue. Best you can do now is to keep the fish out of as much stress as possible, and hope for the best. IF that seems to be the case.

Back
Top Bottom