Molly turned loner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 10 days ago I moved a new female Molly which was in quarantine into its permanent 26 gallon home. I had two mollies already in the 26g, one male and one female. After a couple days of all playing together it seems the first female inhabitant of the 26 gallon has now separated herself from the male and new female and is just spending a lot of time hanging out by herself... Wedged in between the heater and the glass, or swimming at the surface right next to the filter where it's very difficult to see her...almost like she is hiding. Anyone seen this behavior before? Is it possible the fish is "depressed" because of the new female or is it more likely that she is sick? If sick, what does it sound like / any thoughts on what it could be?

Worth noting...
- new female molly was QT'd for 4 weeks with 4 neon tetras
- all were introduced in top health into the 26g
- original 26g tank inhabitants are the m/f Molly and the 5 neon tetras
- do 25% PWC each week
- tank parameters are always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, ph 7.8, nitrate less than 15. Just confirmed this again today...

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would almost be willing to bet that she is prego. But on the other side if thing she might just be a poughter. Alit if fish have tendencies to do wired thing when their habitat is changed or something new is introduced. Hell who knows she.may be jelous of the younger fiah...lol who knows!

She doesn't look pregnant, but That'd be cool if she was. A big relief. Do pregnant Molly's turn a bit reclusive? And if so is it normal to happen early on in process before they get big?

So female Molly #1 is out and about again gallivanting with the male and female #2 today. Today she is out pecking st everything in the tank in search of algae which is her normal personality. Not sure what changed. Maybe she had a bad day yesterday - grumpy? Ha

Yeah as soon as fish get like two or three days into the pregnantcy they will do wired things but its good she's back to normal but keep an eye on her

Back
Top Bottom