Molly's and hard water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
My tap water is soft. Kh is around 4 and GH a little higher. GH is tested with strips though.

The dry ferts dosing includes Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate I believe).

Since starting the dry ferts I don't seem to getting the odd random Molly death I was getting before of say one every three months.

I'm actually away for a week so can't test water but I'm wondering if there could be a link here or just lucky?

Magnesium sulfate contributes towards water hardness, so that's probably the cause of the improved longevity of your mollies. Mollies will not do well long-term in soft water.

If I were you, I'd slowly add a mixture of 3 parts calciums sulfate to 1 part magnesium sulfate (or use an equivalent pre-packaged aquarium product) every time I did a water change. Slowly ramp up your GH until your tank water is moderately hard.

Thanks for the reply. I may be able to lift Ca as well. Is there any good ratio or as you suggested?

I've read 3 part calcium carbonate to one part magnesium carbonate, but have never done this myself.

There are likely commercially-available products out there with the "correct" ratios of beneficial salts for hard-water species.

Back
Top Bottom