mollys have squarish bellies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecopsycho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Like it says on the post some of my mollies have squarish bellies and im wondering if they can just be fat since i feed them enough. I know thats a sign that there pregnant but im wondering if they could be just fat

Probably pregnant. Sounds like what they call "squaring off", though my pregnant Mollys aren't that far yet so I haven't witnessed it personally,

Pictures would help experienced eyes tell for sure.

Well thats the thing they look squared off but idk if there pregnant or fat

I would guess pregnant, but I guess youll find out eventually when you either find skinny looking fish all of a sudden and/or fry swimming around, or they never drop :p

So i have to wait? Or do they only square off when they are pregnant

Since theres multible i will only get one picture of each....i only took one picture to represent all the younger whit mollys that have the box shape in the third picture because they move really fast

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130526_211059.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130526_211059.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20130526_211400.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130526_211400.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20130526_211527.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130526_211527.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 70
Yep, definitely pregnant. They will most likely eat the babies though so you may come home to skinny mollies and no babies, or only a few of the fittest survivors.

Awesome they are all offspring from the first molly picture.that weird though i didnt think they were all pregnant

Wow! Some happy mama's to be in there! Very square. Must be good to drop any day now!

The molly in the first picture i think is birthing because i thought i saw fish chasing something really small and all the black mollys are harassing the mom and i think shes still giving birth. I tried to put her in the breeding box but she got stressed out. I dont know what to do to help her. This is weird though shes still eating anf i saw this white chord come out of her

I let mine birth freely in the main tank. Some babies will get eaten but trust me when I say that some will survive. Just let her be, but take note of today's date, because in 4 weeks time (practically to the day) she'll be having more. (Mine birth 4 weeks 1 day - 4 weeks 4 days apart). You can have her safely in a breeder box if you choose to do that next time. Or, pop her in and turn the lights off. Give her some food and see what happens. Entirely your call as to which you deem to be less stressful for her.

I just put some aquarium salt in there at heard that helps and also i fed her a little and shut the light off

Sorted. It might take you a week or two to spot survivors in the tank (took me that long) they are very fast and excellent at hiding.

I was lhcky last time to catch alot of fry and im hoping i will find.some

Back
Top Bottom