Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Moonlight

I'm going to be buying a new hood for the new tank. What is your moonlight set-up like? I know nothing about it. Is it an extra light strip??
TIA!!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Most of the moonlight setups are LED's. I think there is a bulb that puts out similar frequencies but I'm not totally positive. If you are handy, they are very easy to rig up by yourself and you can find multiple threads about it in the DIY section on this forum. HTH!!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
I used LED's for my set-up which I bought at the LFS.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are a couple of pictures in my gallery of a DIY led strip in my stock hood.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

those cords with the lights sort of seem complicated. What about this?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113544
Old 04-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have exackly what you refrense to there it makes the tank look great but my nocturnal fish are still leery as it is avery bright lite for an L.E.D. I havto actually put a napkin under it to difuse the light a little to coax out my featherfin catfish and my black ghost.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I guarantee I get something that doesn't work.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

www.thelebos.com
FTW

This moonlight system is what I have and will continue using. It is dimmable, which if you're like me, is a must because I sleep next to my tank, and without dimming the LED it is too bright at night. Great quality, good customer ervice, and you can just buy replacement strands if you upgrade your tank (which is what I'm doing).
No experience with the lunar tracker, but I just simulate it by slowly turning up the moonlight during the first 2 weeks of the month, and down for the last 2 weeks. I'm sure the tracker would be sweet though.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well that is where mine is going and I want to be able to watch the pleco swim around.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybarbs
well that is where mine is going and I want to be able to watch the pleco swim around.
That's exactly why I bought mine. He doesn't seem to notice the light.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
www.thelebos.com
FTW

This moonlight system is what I have and will continue using. It is dimmable, which if you're like me, is a must because I sleep next to my tank, and without dimming the LED it is too bright at night. Great quality, good customer ervice, and you can just buy replacement strands if you upgrade your tank (which is what I'm doing).
No experience with the lunar tracker, but I just simulate it by slowly turning up the moonlight during the first 2 weeks of the month, and down for the last 2 weeks. I'm sure the tracker would be sweet though.
I bought my moonlights from www.thelobos.com too. I am very happy with my purchase, the moonlights look fantastic. I would definately buy from them again.

My tank is also by my bed, the dimmer is a great function. I have a 55 gallon tank and I bought the 3 light system. 2 lights would work, but I wanted the ability to light the tank up more. I can always dim the lights down when I want.

You'll love the moonlights once you get them!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
www.thelebos.com
FTW

i too have bought from www.thelobos.com
i aslo have the 3 light system in a 55gal...i think its too much light so i have it turned down to about 3/4. i think the 2 light system is good enough. best moonlights ive seen...great light quality.

Quote:
i have the moonlights hooked up to the lunar tracker and its cool but i havent seen any significat difference in growth or anything esle. i think you can do without it though. it just looks cool.
its just another "toy" to add to your tank.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to GatorDrew
Just curious, if I run the "normal" lights for 8 hours a day... how long can I run the moonlights for?
Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Mine are LED's mounted into the fixture. I run my lights 9 1/2 hours and the moonlights are on the rest of the time.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the Current USA Satellite strip on my 20 gallon tank. It has 1 moonlight built in to the strip, since it is only 2 feet long, and a CF bulb. It has 2 separate cords, one for each light, and the moonlight is always on. I like the effect and it's cool to watch your nocturnal fish in the dark.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, moonlight

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com