Moonlight opinions please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello;

I am considering installing 'moonlights' in my 20 gallon aquarium which is home to three bala sharks and a common pleco. The reason being, since Sean (my pleco) is nocturnal, I figure he might like a little bit of light at night time.

What I am hoping to accomplish is a very, very low intensity night time lighting solution. Given the size of my aquarium and the goal I am hoping to accomplish how many bulbs should I use? I was thinking maybe 6-10 lights should do the trick but I am afraid of overkill.

Also, I have another aquarium which is 29 gallons and home to two iridescent shark catfish. Do you think they would enjoy having a bit of 'moonlight' as well?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to extend.

Cheers,
Joseph

I have a 3/4 watt for my 75 and it puts out a good amount of light. 6-10 will be overkill. One should do the trick. Since you looking for the soft natural look of the moon. I have mine on the side of the tank right at the top pointing in on a downward angle to look like the moon is rising/setting and shining on an angle. Pic in my gallery but doesn't do it justice. Try starting with one and go from there. A 20 gal isn't that big op a tank and I bet you'll be happy with one.

i bought 12 blue led's (4 sets of 3 lights) for my 20gal....was very bright so i disconnected 1 set of 3 and it helped......check out e bay seller digi555 he has an online store and will do custom oreders....pretty cheap and has great products

I would say 3 LED's, max. I ran 6 LED's over my 40gal breeder, and it was a bit much.

plus, nocturnal creatures are evolved to function well at night, often sensing vibrations (like bats) more than relying upon sight.

Back
Top Bottom