Moors in a pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was at a friends house the other day and she has a moor in a 5 gal. The water level is even real low so it's probably in 3.5 gals. I am not a goldfish expert but I tried to educate her a little bit about them. She said she has a pond outside and debated putting it in there but wasn't sure if it would survive out there. I've never seen fancy goldfish in a pond so I wasn't sure how that works. What temps can they survive in? I'm sure this pond gets no upkeep..would the fish be better off out there?

The fish is already too big for a 10 gal. SIGH. Well what can I do. I took her red eared slider that wasn't being cared for properly to give it a good home but I really don't want the moor. I feel bad for it though.

that is too bad i love moors and i would love to have another but iam far away try a local buy sell trade site lots of people would take a moor how big is he?

she told me she did have another fancy in there with it *gasp*

Where are you? Whether moors will do well in ponds depends on the temperature. In semi-tropical climates, moors (& other fancies) will be fine in a pond. They don't do too well when the temp goes down to the 60's.

Another consideration is what else is in the pond. moors will have a tough time competing with koi or common goldfish. There may also be issues with predation (Racoons, birds) as moors are rather slow & with poor eyesight, can't see what is coming.

Finally, a poorly kept pond is not a good place for fish. You still need good filtration, proper cycling of the pond, pwc, etc. A fishpond realy should have the same upkeep as a tank.

he will do alot better in a 10 for the time being with just a few plants i keep my moors in a 10 gallon till they hit about 4

yeah..it's hard to even begin to reason with someone who was letting a turtle live in what was basically sewage. I'm trying tho :)

Where are you? Whether moors will do well in ponds depends on the temperature. In semi-tropical climates, moors (& other fancies) will be fine in a pond. They don't do too well when the temp goes down to the 60's.

Another consideration is what else is in the pond. moors will have a tough time competing with koi or common goldfish. There may also be issues with predation (Racoons, birds) as moors are rather slow & with poor eyesight, can't see what is coming.

Finally, a poorly kept pond is not a good place for fish. You still need good filtration, proper cycling of the pond, pwc, etc. A fishpond realy should have the same upkeep as a tank.

I thought as much about the pond upkeep. I don't think they've put anything else in the pond but we live rurally and there is lots of wildlife around. And it does get colder than that. Well I'll encourage her to get a bigger tank or try to get the lfs to take it and then it's up to her. I guess that's all I can do.

siva said:
So I was at a friends house the other day and she has a moor in a 5 gal. The water level is even real low so it's probably in 3.5 gals. I am not a goldfish expert but I tried to educate her a little bit about them. She said she has a pond outside and debated putting it in there but wasn't sure if it would survive out there. I've never seen fancy goldfish in a pond so I wasn't sure how that works. What temps can they survive in? I'm sure this pond gets no upkeep..would the fish be better off out there?

That's too bad :(, we love our Moors and they show their love back :D.

I'd take it too, just to give it a good home. Sounds like a hobby gone bored, but it's not uncommon. Try a LFS for both please and keep us updated if you would.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

10 g tanks are $12-13 by itself, swap the filter. 20g are about $30 , 18g rubbermade tub $5

Ya can get a 10 gal for 10 bucks but no hood and that doesn't work with cats in the house. I've never kept a goldfish but I could put it in a 20 gal. It's not really my style though...to dedicate an entire 20 gal to one fish...I don't know I'm thinking about it though.

That's too bad :(, we love our Moors and they show their love back :D.

I'd take it too, just to give it a good home. Sounds like a hobby gone bored, but it's not uncommon. Try a LFS for both please and keep us updated if you would.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I have a hard time even using the word "hobby" for folks like this ya know. If you never take care of your animal it's hardly a hobby :( I did take the turtle I mentioned that was living in terrible conditions. It's really quite a large undertaking..it needs a huge tank and countless other expensive things. I'm trying to learn all about them as fast I can so I can set him up a proper home. Well she's not doing the greatest job but at least she asked me to take the turtle and seemed to understand when I told her the moor really couldn't stay in that little tank so there is hope for a good outcome I think. I will update :)

siva said:
I have a hard time even using the word "hobby" for folks like this ya know. If you never take care of your animal it's hardly a hobby :( I did take the turtle I mentioned that was living in terrible conditions. It's really quite a large undertaking..it needs a huge tank and countless other expensive things. I'm trying to learn all about them as fast I can so I can set him up a proper home. Well she's not doing the greatest job but at least she asked me to take the turtle and seemed to understand when I told her the moor really couldn't stay in that little tank so there is hope for a good outcome I think. I will update :)

Too bad about the Moor, but can a LFS take it, or does she not want to give it up?

Good for you taking the turtle. Thers a couple places here that would take it (edu) though. They deal with that regularly.

That's what I meant hobby gone bored, it's fun for a while but that wears off. Not to go OT, but there's a rash of chihuahuas being dumped here in the Bay Area, due to that dumb movie and losing interest. Kinda the same thing I guess.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Too bad about the Moor, but can a LFS take it, or does she not want to give it up?

Good for you taking the turtle. Thers a couple places here that would take it (edu) though. They deal with that regularly.

That's what I meant hobby gone bored, it's fun for a while but that wears off. Not to go OT, but there's a rash of chihuahuas being dumped here in the Bay Area, due to that dumb movie and losing interest. Kinda the same thing I guess.

I think I'll be able to get her to give it up. I mean she was thinking about putting it in the pond so it should be fine with her.

That is really sad. I can relate. My parents are currently providing care for 11+ unwanted cats that have shown up on their property. At least 5 of them were definitely once someones pet. It's criminal..really.

And are you referring to that movie with paris hilton? geez..ridiculous.

siva said:
And are you referring to that movie with paris hilton? geez..ridiculous.

Hollywood chihuahua or something like that. It was in the local news sometime back that this may happen and of course it did.

about the hood, you can go to lowes or home depot maybe too, and for $2-3 you can get a glass piece cut to size. i did for my custom crab tank. i had to place filter on the end, kinda like a turtle tank...

Back
Top Bottom