Mopani Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My local Pet Supplies Plus decided to start carrying Mopani Driftwood :) im so happy!!!!! I've been going there for maybe 10 to 12 months and they just now started, and they have some pretty large pieces. Glad i donthave to order it anymore!!! On a sidenote, what should I expect from it compared to other woods besides the usual tannin leaching??

aquabeast said:
Glad i donthave to order it anymore!!!

So you've had it before? :confused:

Anyways, my experiences have been good.

Boiling helps blast the extra tannins out of the wood quickly, a slow boil and changing the water once it blackens.

Boiling also kills any living things that may decide to make a home on your new DW, which if left will die and grow a hair like fungus, causing unsightly white mess.

That's all I can really think of now.

I've never had Mopani, I just had driftwood before. I wanted the tannins because I have Angelfish.

I've never had Mopani, I just had driftwood before. I wanted the tannins because I have Angelfish.

Mopani's a great DW. It's chuck full of tannins ... so even multiple boilings will still leave some to leach into your tank ... which sounds like it's what you want.

I just bought my second piece of mopani. Ive found that if the piece doesnt have as much bark it doesnt color the water as much. I chose large pieces only half covered in bark because my green phantom prefers to eat the soft meaty part. It also worked wonders for naturally buffering my high ph.

It also doesnt hurt that the pieces are so interesting in appearance. Enjoy!

Did you not treat it or soak it in anything like scouser suggested? I didnt know any better with my first piece and it developed the white mess he described. But i cleaned it off and soaked it in pimafix (not that that probably did anything) and it hasnt come back.

I was thinking about getting some of this driftwood from a PSP near me. Glad to hear good things about it.

Back
Top Bottom