Mopani Driftwood problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roundtree

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 3 medium size pieces of this driftwood at the store. I leached the three pieces for almost a week and a half. I used prime, purigen and carbon filters. The water when I assumed finished was light tea colored. Now that I have it in the tank this weird cloudy sponge like material is growing off of it... ???? Dunno what to do???

BillD said:
It will disappear in a while. If you can't wait, take the wood out and soak it in a bleach solution.

Please, don't use bleach. It will absorb into the wood, will leach back out, and is highly toxic to fish and your BB. Use some vinegar and water and rinse very well.

I'm not sure at this moment about the pleco. I am going to be finding new homes for my Oscar and one female JD. Maybe later down the road. I need to get my set up a lip more tweeked! Thank you for the offer.

my bristlenose pleco had my 10 inch piece of mopani cleared of all that mess in two days flat...

Bubble_B0y said:
the cotton, fungy growth is normal.
It won't harm the fish

+1, I have the samething on my manzanita wood. Just rinse it off when you do a water change.

had a alot of this when i re-set up my tank.... it goes away on its own in time vineger or bleach do nothing it just comes back.. scrape it off as best you can and it will just kinda go away on its own

my fish nibbled and ate it !
This was back in 2005 - they are still alive today ;)

yes, it will go away naturally on its own.
I remember reading that it was caused because of the sterilization process (boiling it to remove tannins).
It causes bacteria to re-colonize the wood.
or something along those lines..........

the piece u put in about 4 days ago is starting to get a "film" of this all over it soo hopeing the feeder gold fish i use like it so they eat it befor the pirahnas get them

Some carbon in the filter might help remove the coloration in your tank...

Back
Top Bottom