Mopani Growth ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianant

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, Recently purchased 4 Pieces of mopani root for my new tank, Have soaked and removed the Tanins from said wood but have developed a White slimey growth on two of the pieces. Removed them both and steamed the offending growth off both, returned one piece to the tank but within a day growth has returned. Please any ideas. :(

I had a piece do the same thing... looked like snot or something... i just ended up throwing it out after doing everything in my power, including running through a dishwasher and taking a pressure washer to it, with no success... Im interested as to what it is and if there is some sort of cure for it as well... im following along here

Going to try baking the wood in an oven for an hour then re-soak to see if growth reapears, Hopefully this will kill off any unwanted fungal growths... will keep posted as to result.

It's normal for wood to do that. I run our's through the dishwasher (without soap) Then soak it in water with dechlor and a fungus tab. Once in the tank it will still grow some of the white stuff so I just scrub it with a toothbrush (one that I got just for tanks) Most fish will nibble at it but it will eventually go away. It is harmless.

Hey Dragon, thanks for that ! was obviously concerned for the health of the fish as i've never encountered this before.

ianant,

You're more than welcome. I freaked out the first time I saw it in our tanks. I talked to our LFS and did some online research. If you have things like corys, otos, plecos, mollies, platys etc, they will love it. :)

this is a newly set up tank (25g) and is only occupied by 1m/3f Guppies at the moment as well as being planted ! once i can work out how to resize pics i'll get some posted...

The white fuzzy stuff you are seeing is a fungus. Its perfectly safe for your fish and some fish even enjoy eating it. I have mopani in one of my tanks that also had the exact same growth. It went away in a little over a week in my tank.

Hi Whiskey and thanks, checked the wood today and as you say it has cleared so Panic (well not quite ) passed, All looking good now...

I had this happen when I put mine in. Cleared up in a couple days and didn't seem to harm anyone. Scared me to death, but I researched it and it seems to be fine. Darn wood took forever to get all the tannins out though...

Back
Top Bottom