Mopani wood slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading lots of posts on other forums about mopani wood developing a slime after a few days in the water, but eventually going away on its own. Anyone know how long that takes? I'm sick of this icky stuff!

I got a beautiful piece that I put in my 10 gallon "nano" tank. I boiled it for two hours first, then it went in the new tank and it went through the entire fishless cycling. Soon after putting it in there, a yucky whitish-clear slime developed. I took a new bristle paintbrush and wiped it off as best as I could without taking it out of the tank (I didn't want to disturb the java moss I had anchored there). I repeated that process every few days during the fishless cycle. I thought it was done sliming---then put my fish in a few weeks ago--and it is back. The fish and cherry shrimp seem fine with it, but it looks really awful.

Does anyone know when this will clear up? Or should I pull it out and get some bogwood?

It just has to run it's course. I've had that happen with Manzanita....sometimes it went away after a few weeks, other times it took a couple of months.

I got some Zebra Nerite snails for my 30g and discovered they like eating on the driftwood more than anything else. Needless to say, my driftwood stays spotless. I guess they like the wood's texture. Go figure! OS.

Thanks, everyone. It has been 7 or 8 weeks in the tank and is still very slimey….I'll try to be patient and let is run its course.

Back
Top Bottom