Moral dilemma - what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cginflorida

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got 5 platys and 1 pictus catfish in my QT tank, they've been there for two weeks and look healthy. I really would like to move them to the 75 gal, but I've got nitrites of 4-5 ppm in there. Ammonia is 0 and nitrates are 5-6, pH 7.6.

The readings in the QT tank are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about 8-10, pH 7.6. The reason I'm itching to get them moved over is I feel like the pictus isn't happy in such a small tank. He's been hiding a lot over the past few days, not nearly as active as when I first got him. He's eating and he looks good, though, I don't think he's sick.

I think he'd be a lot happier in the big tank, but I don't want to shock him with nitrites. But those 6 fish wouldn't be much of a bioload in a 75 gal, so do you think the nitrites would drop quickly? I've been adding a tablespoon of ammonia each day, and I doubt that the waste from the fish would equal that, but I don't know.

What do you think I should do?

I would strongly recommend against putting any fish in a tank with nitrite, especially if they are in a tank without it now. The pictus will certainly be happier in roomier digs, but if you move them they might not survive - nitrite is very toxic. You would have to go to great lengths to protect the fish from the nitrite, which would slow the cycle.

Try to wait until the nitrite and ammonia are in the big tank, then move them with an acclimation period.

I will second that, my two pictus have been through my entire learning curve... LOTS OF DUMB MISTAKES haha Including having them with a much larger jack depmsey and leporinus for awhile... but they pulled through fine and are now very happy in a large tank

however, no matter how tough they are toxic water is toxic water... I think they would do better holding out in the overcrowded tank until your cycle is done

The thing that's so frustrating is that my 75 gal was cycled a while ago, but I had to wait through the quarantine period before I put the new fish in. So I kept feeding it ammonia every day, and I'd test and it was still cycled. And then Hurricane Charley blew through here and I missed two days of ammonia feeding because we were so busy cleaning up the debris. :? Sigh

Back
Top Bottom